News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hardy reel

Started by Fin, November 06, 2019, 01:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

Hi all

I have just acquired a Hardy Golden Prince 5/6 reel from a old relative of mine.
The reel has hardly ever been used and is in mint condition with a spare spool and original case.

Now it looks so nice I have decided to use it instead of selling it, they fetch a wee bit of money but I would appreciate using it more than the money.
I was wondering if anyone had experiences of using these reels and if they are good reels and not just the Hardy name.

The reason of this post is for advice on a new line that would suit a reel like this.
I will be putting floating lines on both spools and usually fish a 5 weight Orvis access rod and a 4 weight Snowbee Presteige. Was thinking of putting a line on each spool so I could use the reel for both roads.
I know the reel is a 5/6 so would it suit a 4 weight line for my snowbee?

I did have  thoughts of putting two 5 lines on, one a sink tip and the other a floater. I suppose I might be able to use some 5 weight lines for a 4 weight rod, does any one know of some lines that feel more like a 4 than a true five weight.

I do not want to take my old lines off my other reels which would probably be the sensible thing, anyway any old excuse to get a new line for my Christmas.

All the best
Fin

johnsd

yer going where

Billy

I have a couple of 5/6 reels and use everything from 3 weight to 7 weight on the spools.

I use them mostly to hold line and rarely play fish from them.
Apart from this season. Isn't that right John!

Good on you for using it as it was meant.

Billy

Robbie

Would have thought that sticking a 4wt line on the reel would not be an issue, you're just going to need more backing to full the spool out.

Fin

John
you have met me a few times and know I would love to be a snob but alas, you know I'm just a commoner, who likes to mooch anything I can get.
I'm intending to get my mojo back for fishing as much as I used to years back, so hopefully we will meet again in the near future.
It was always a pleasure meeting you, so make sure your flee box is full.  :roll:

You're right Billy, I suppose a reel is just a storage gadget, as long it is not that much out of proportion with the rod you are using.

I will see how much I can wangle off the wife and kids for my Christmas. This will determine if I can buy two new lines.

Have had many different brands of lines over the years but not really had a favourite, that made me want to buy only that name.
Suppose that might be down to cost as I buy what I can afford at the time, some cheaper lines have turned out to be better than some of the so called expensive brands.
I once bought a Hardy line many years back form Kate Flemings and loved it for the year I had it, before it got wrapped around the  outboard at Loch na h-Oidhche.
I did really like that line, the funny thing is, i never bought another one but have thought about that line from time to time over the years while buying other makes.
I wonder if their lines are as nice as the one I had years ago.

All the best
Fin

caorach

I use a very lightweight 7 weight reel with a 4 weight line on it and it works just fine for me, takes a wee bit more backing than you'd expect with a 4 weight I guess but there's no down side to that. I guess they only problem is that to some people it might look a shade large on a 4 weight rod but to be honest with modern large arbor reels that isn't really a factor.

In terms of "over lining" the rod then I think in one sense this depends on the rod and also on your casting. By accident I once took my 7 weight line/reel out with my 4 weight rod. First cast things were a bit odd, by the end of the day I'd adapted and wasn't noticing it at all though I had to modify the amount of line I was lifting etc. With this in mind I'd put a 5 weight on one of the spools and go and fish it on the 4 weight rod and see how it works for you. I have a 6 weight Sage that works much better with a 7 weight line, I'm sure the experts will say this is because I lack the skill to load it properly etc. plus I'm probably always casting in a stiff wind and that changes the dynamic a lot in terms of loading the rod.

So, I'd say stop listening to experts and just stick 5 weights on the spools and go for it, your brain plasticity will easily make up for any "problems" that people might predict you'll encounter.

Fin

Cheers caorach

I will take your advice and try a five weight on the reel and give it a shot on both rods and see how it goes.

I have had to put up with my bad casting technique for the last 32 yrs so I will adapt.

Cheers
Fin.

Go To Front Page