News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Prescription sunglasses

Started by arawa, February 12, 2020, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

My eyesight is not what it was and I am looking for some quality prescription sunglasses to help me see small dries on sunny days (there's hopeful for you  :lol:) when there is glare reflecting from the water.
There seem to be lots on the market at hugely varying prices so I should be grateful for any recommendations.
Thanks. David.

Bobfly

As you are already using prescription glasses I would deal with your normal optician. Plenty do 2 pairs for £x one of which can be polaroid to your spec of colour tint strength. If you are nearing an.eyetest you may need a lense change anyway. Most angling glasses are simple plain lenses for a silly price. The cheapest option of all is a polaroid clipon and I have two which work very well indeed and are also very good in poorer light. If you are thinking of buying from an angling glasses supplier for prescription polaroid glasses you would also need your inter pupillary distance measure which most opticians keep off from their patient's copy so you need to ask for it.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Noddy

I use the Asda opticians and have polaroid prescription varifocal sunglasses from them.  You can get the ordinary sunglasses in the two for one deal, but it costs extra for them to be polaroid. 

Jim

Robbie

Last year I bit the bullet and purchased Oakley prescription polaroids through a local optician. not cheap but great glasses. I chose a set which you can buy additional lenses for so that in future I can buy lenses with different tints if I need/want to, will need to feel fairly flush to do this through.

I found that my usual optician (Specsavers) did not stock and could not get wrap-around type sunglasses with prescription lenses, so the options available did not provide the same level of protection and seemed like they would let light in and the sides.

As with all things, your budget will influence options and everyone will rate value on slightly different metrics.

Fishtales

I got my last two pairs of sunglasses from my optician. They are bi-focal, polarised, photochromic glass and weren't that expensive for what they are. He sourced the glass as he hadn't heard of it before and had a pair made for himself at the same time. He raved about how good it was to walk from bright sunlight to indoors without having to change glasses :) Unfortunately he has sold the business and the new owners don't have the glass so I will have to look elsewhere :(
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

arawa

Thank you all.
At present, I have polarised magnetic clip-ons that came with my frames from Boots; I think they are Zeiss (the main lenses are). They have served me well but I am finding it harder to see small flies in bright conditions and I wondered if there was anything better out there.
I have read elsewhere mixed comments on the "premium" brands such as Costa. Probably stick with what I have. Might use bigger flies  :D :D

arawa

In case this saves anyone else time and aggravation (it has cost me a lot of both :().
If you want what the general consensus considers to be the best sunglasses for fishing – Costa – they are no longer available in Europe with prescription lenses. And it appears that when current stocks dry up, non-prescription versions will no longer be available either.
Costa USA will not take orders from the UK for prescription lenses.
The general consensus is that Maui Jim are the next best fishing sunglasses. But they are not available with prescription glass lenses (only polycarbonate) and the 2 opticians I have consulted state that in pure optical terms even the best polycarbonate is inferior to good glass.

Noddy

I think its been a good few years since my prescription specs were made of glass.

Jim

Fin

I bought a pair of Costa sunglasses, I really like them. This was before I needed prescription glasses about a year ago.
Was thinking about a pair off prescription ones.
Think if you were to get a pair it's around £400
Too pricey for me...

Paul Fleming from Kate Flemings fishing shop in Blairgowrie has a  prescription pair of Costa's, he really rates them.
So I think you can get them in the UK.
Then again he stocks Costa's in his shop and got a deal on them.

Fin

arawa

Quote from: Fin on February 21, 2020, 02:05:09 PM
I bought a pair of Costa sunglasses, I really like them. This was before I needed prescription glasses about a year ago.
Was thinking about a pair off prescription ones.
Think if you were to get a pair it's around £400
Too pricey for me...

Paul Fleming from Kate Flemings fishing shop in Blairgowrie has a  prescription pair of Costa's, he really rates them.
So I think you can get them in the UK.
Then again he stocks Costa's in his shop and got a deal on them.

Fin
Thanks Fin. You could get the prescription lenses but no longer (so I am told by 3 Costa dealers and Costa USA).  For some reason Costa have binned their UK distributors and they will not take orders direct from the U.K. 

Go To Front Page