News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Hybrid Fluoro/Mono lines

Started by johnny boy, April 20, 2020, 10:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnny boy

With Philip mentioning Yo Zuri again I was wondering if there anyone else uses a fluoro/Mono line.

If so which kind and what has been yoir findings?

I did try Flouro and have to say I was not pleased at all with it but would be willing to try a hybrid type line if it seems to get the best out of both worlds.

Fishtales

I've tried loads of different lines and still come back to Maxima Chameleon :) I've used it for fifty years with very few problems, even old spools I have had for years :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

caorach

The problem with the Yo-Zuri Hybrid might be getting it as it sometimes isn't readily available. However, with the help of google I can usually manage to pick it up somewhere and Garry Evans seem to have it in stock just now.

You'll be well aware of the type of fishing I'm doing and I find it works well for me though as you'd also understand I'm not the type to get too worked up about gear and the like, in the end I'll fish with what I'm given. In the distant past I was using the Hardy Co-Polymer line but they withdrew it for a while and I hunted about for a replacement. Also for a couple of seasons (maybe 2014/15) I fished the Fluro to give it another try.

I liked the Hardy Co-Polymer but just couldn't get on with the Fluro, especially the occasional mystery break, so I've settled on the Yo-Zuri and I've got to say I think it performs better than the Hardy. It is especially impressive if you put an overhand knot in it and try to break it :-) I tend to use it in 6lb, 10lb, and 15lb breaking strains.

arawa

Thanks Philip. Just ordered a spool of 6lb from Gary Evans.

Bobfly

I have been using Stroft GTM for the last two seasons. Very reliable, sensible price, low diameter and no oddball breakages. Stroft ABR is the same for strength and diameter so take your pick.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

johnny boy

Hi, I don't think Stroft is a hybrid mixture of mono and fluoro (I could be wrong there).

I am a maxima man but would like to try some hybrids or get feedback on the latest types first and where better to ask than here.

caorach

Quote from: arawa on April 20, 2020, 01:54:14 PM
Thanks Philip. Just ordered a spool of 6lb from Gary Evans.

I'll be really interested to see what you think David, I'm not very picky about my gear so maybe I'm not a good person to judge but while I can get it I'm going to keep using it :-)

Laxdale

Maxima green for me most of the time. If I am fishing somewhere with gin clear water and sea trout are part of the equation, the clear Yo Zurri is good. Had a fair few proper salmon on the 15lb Yo Zurri out of the Conon too. It is reliable, although getting a curly bit in the line when tying on a fly seems to be a problem with it in certain conditions.

Wildfisher

I keep it simple. Maxima green for pulling flies, Rio Powerflex or Stroft for everything else.

lnelson20

Drennan subsurface for dries and pulling flies for me.Flouro divides opinion but i find it reliable enough as long as you use it in heavy breaking strains for trout[12lb]in lighter breaking strains its prone to smash takes
c.nelson

Go To Front Page