News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Map overlay software

Started by johnny boy, July 03, 2020, 12:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laxdale

Out off the headland just up from Garenin it is very important to be on the right line when drifting. A lot of the cod and ling are concentrated in the gravely bits between the peaks and patches of sand. You need to be drifting along the edges. The sandy bits are unreliable. Once you climb up onto the proper peaks you are into pollack and cod territory. I had the benefit of being out for a number of years with the old skippers who fished the area without the benefit of gps and fishfinders, and learned to fish off Carloway using shore marks.

johnny boy

Good to know for next time we are up in that area, what sort of distance roughly would you suggest to be from shore as a good starting point (pm me if you don't want to post on forum, tell me to piss off if you don't want to tell me at all 😁)

Laxdale

http://fishing-app.gpsnauticalcharts.com/i-boating-fishing-web-app/fishing-marine-charts-navigation.html#11.36/58.3059/-6.7932/19.2

Off the headland there is a peak of 13.9 fathoms. Take a line from the northern end of the headland through that peak. Just on the inside or outside of the peak are the most productive bits.
Between there and where it says 10.8 and 11.8 to the north can be very good also. Not if you have wind against tide as moving along at a good speed helps. If spurs are bad, just use pirks with either muppets or redgills as fliers above. Baited pirks or muppets are good when the effing spur bastards are not there.
(For anyone thinking spurdogs are "fun", they get tiresome when you get three double figure ones at a time, every time.)
In Cliff Bay you want three hooks trailing along the bottom below the lead for rays (thornies, spotted and cuckoo are common).
Sadly, I was told earlier that a local boat has been trawling right inshore for rays and flatfish this summer. Tolsta, Ness, Eoropie.....all cleaned out. He was eyeing up Cliff Bay too. Fair chance the good citizens of Ness may have put a hole in his boat before he gets there though!

johnny boy

Well that can't be too far from where we were but we could have missed the 13.9 mark as we were drifting blind. Good to know about it and I will try getting us onto it next time.

Your right about the spurs, the first few were a bit of fun, got tiresome quickly and just downright annoying soon after.

Hopefully get out in the next week or so with the good weather.

Go To Front Page