News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Orvis Mirage

Started by arawa, August 20, 2020, 09:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arawa

I realise I am heading into dangerous waters by mentioning fluorocarbon but  :crap

On a recent trip I accidentally took an old packet of Orvis Mirage tippets with me instead of my usual ones. However, I loved the perfect turnover I got from the 5X (3.2lb) version with a single small dry even almost directly into a stiffish breeze. And not a single wind knot all day!
Although I absolutely do not need any more tippets especially this late in the season I looked at them online; £23 for 2  :shock:
I really don't mind paying for tackle that works for me but wow!

PS. The price tag on this packet of 3 tippets was £3.99 so they must be many years old. But they are still in perfect condition with no coiling or weak spots.

Bobfly

Quite a few favour the Leeda tapered casts. Probably all in the taper from butt to tip section. I quite like the Hardy copoly ones which are a dull pale brown.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Brook

Orvis sometimes do a 50% off when you spend £50.
You could get 4 leaders for for around £25. Not too bad if they turn over in the wind.
Did they not drag the dry fly under Arawa?

arawa

Quote from: Brook on August 22, 2020, 08:08:30 PM
Orvis sometimes do a 50% off when you spend £50.
You could get 4 leaders for for around £25. Not too bad if they turn over in the wind.
Did they not drag the dry fly under Arawa?

No. I tend to fish a single small dry with a #4 or #3 rod and a tippet of 3-4lb, or even 2.5lb if I am using a very small fly. My usual problem is to get the end of these light tippets ("nylon", co-polymer or flouro - tapered or level) to sink especially in near calms.
With the Mirage I wiped the last foot of tippet with mud and it sank no problem (not the rest of the tippet) but did not sink the fly.

arawa

Quote from: Bobfly on August 20, 2020, 11:21:21 PM
Quite a few favour the Leeda tapered casts. Probably all in the taper from butt to tip section. I quite like the Hardy copoly ones which are a dull pale brown.

I have not been using tapered nylon leaders for a while but rather a furled leader with a length of level tippet. I too like the Hardy Copolymer leaders. They worked well with a tippet ring to which I tied a dropper and an end level tippet when trying a dry fly and nymph combo. This did not work well for me by the way.

Bobfly

I often use woven furled leaders from Loopy Leaders or the Hemingway ones. That is really where the better turnover comes from then maybe 5 feet of tippet. Otherwise furled plus 6ft to dropper then 5-6 ft to tail fly.
~  <°))))):><       ~   <°))))):><

Go To Front Page