News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Where to start on small streams?

Started by Robbie, September 24, 2009, 02:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

I have been trying to get to grips with river fishing for some time.  My progress has been hampered by the fact that I have not done much fishing this season.  My local angling association has fishing on a small stream which runs not far from my house.   I have joined this association and probably should have invested more time exploring this water.

When I have fished this water I have only caught fish that I have seen rising, if there are no fish to be seen rising I never seem to have any success and find I have little confidence when fishing nymphs or wets.

I could do with some advice as to which areas are best to concentrate on, where you could expect to find fish.  I have been told that the water has produced the occasional 1lb fish but the biggest I have caught was about 4in.

There are a couple of photos of the water below.  Any advice is appreciated,

Robbie

haresear

Robbie, Col gives good advice.

QuoteWhen I have fished this water I have only caught fish that I have seen rising, if there are no fish to be seen rising I never seem to have any success and find I have little confidence when fishing nymphs or wets.

One useful way to get to grips with nymphing is to combine it with fishing a dry fly. In other words, fish the dry and also watch it as an indicator. Looking at the size and depth of the stream, I doubt if you would need to use any serious weight to cover fish effectively. You can simply tie a short length of mono on to the bend of the dry (use a Uni knot and you can detach it easily when needed) and tie your nymph to that. You have probably heard the method described as "NZ dropper" or "the duo".

Alex
Protect the edge.

Robbie

Col, Alex,

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

Robbie

Robbie

Just thought I?d post a quick update.  After work yesterday I managed to grab about an hour and a half to fish.

Set up with a pearly spider on the dropper and a woven nymph on the point, on about the third cast the tip of the fly line shot forward a few inches.  I was caught completely by surprise and missed the take.  A few minutes later a repeat jerk in the line, this time I was slightly quicker and made brief contact with a very small bandy.  By the time I left the water I had made contact with three or four fish but fail to land anything and missed a handful of other takes.

All in all I had great fun, and hope to better next time as I have a better idea of what to look for.

Thanks again for the advice.

Robbie

Robbie

Thanks for the encouragement guys.  Having read through quite a few of Col's reports I would be well chuffed if i managed to be half as good as the master.

just kicking myself that i have left it so late in the season.

Robbie

Harpo

Quote from: Robbie on September 30, 2009, 01:53:24 PM
just kicking myself that i have left it so late in the season.

Yeah but you get to dream/fantisise about it all of the closed season until you get back out.
Then you'll have a whole year on your new found stream, watching it change through the seasons etc, brilliant

Cheers

Stuart

Go To Front Page