News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

NZ style variant

Started by Ptinid, August 23, 2010, 05:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ptinid

I've been fishing NZ style most of the season. Mostly, I've had the nymph tied directly onto the dry hook bend. But recently I've lost a few fish from the dry, and assume that the line from the hook has interfered with the hook-up.

Recently I've started tying the nymph leader on a sliding knot over the tippet above the dry, and sliding (carefully and well moistened) up to the eye of the dry hook.

This seems to gets over the problem with hook-up, and still gives an immediate reaction to a nymph take.

However...my wee stream has only wee fish. Any guesses, knowledge on how this set-up would affect knot strength/line strength with larger fish?
It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.  ~John Steinbeck

Malcolm

I always try these things out Ptinid, It's worth sticking the tail fly in a vice and giving it a good yank, then the same with the dropper.

Never had a problem with the NZ setup and I've been using it for years.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

paulr

Quote from: Alan on August 25, 2010, 01:32:35 AM
i stopped NZ style after too many foul hookups with fish that missed the dry and got caught with the nymph, Scott managed this first time he tried it also.

Exactly the same as me Alan. I've hardly used the method this year, mainly sticking to the dries or occasionally fishing a nymph under a wee indicator.

bibio1

I also had a problem with Hook ups but I decided to tie in a loop of nylon on the dry fly to which I attach the nymph. It works a treat and allows the dry hook to set.

Not ideal in every situation as it really only works down to size 14's.

regards

Paul

haresear

I can't say that I lose fish on the dry any more than when fishing a single dry, but I certainly miss more on the strike, probably due to the fish nosing the dropper and dry away from its mouth. Then again it gets me bunus fish on the nymph so its a swings and roundabouts thing.

I do use the NZ dropper tied to the bend quite often (it is quick to put on and take off), but agree that I often foulhook fish on the nymph after missing them on the dry (there is video of this on our last NZ trip in the movie theatre section, but it is a couple of hours in...).

QuoteRecently I've started tying the nymph leader on a sliding knot over the tippet above the dry, and sliding (carefully and well moistened) up to the eye of the dry hook.

George, I agree with Col. This will likely result in a crinkly leader. Have you tried the "two in the eye" method of attachment? Tie the nymph dropper to the eye of the dry fly rather than the bend. It should give pretty much the same effect as what you are currently doing.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page