News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Line Weight For Fladen 7ft 3wt

Started by Rabmax, November 16, 2010, 01:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Hello all i was using a Fladen vantage 8ft /4 for small streams last year & thought it was a very good for the money.But found i got on better with a 5wt DT fly line most of the time .I have just bought a couple of Fladen 7ft /3wt rods for tighter spots for next year.I am thinking about buying a few of the Wildfisher Heron Grey DT lines DT 3wt & 4wt lines.Can anyone who uses a Fladen Vantage 7ft 3wt tell me if it casts a 3wt line ok as i am thinking it might be more a 4wt rod sold as a 3 wt. Cheers  :D

haresear

Rabmax,

I had a shot of the 7'  at the Glasgow casting club. I like it more than the 8' version, the action of which which I think could be better dampened.

I thought the 7' cast a WF4 well. Having said that, I was casting another guy's rod and line combo and don't know how it would have felt with a #3.

To my mind, if you are using a 7 footer, you are likely to be fishing at close range on wee streams, so it makes sense to use a line which will load the rod effectively at the range you are likely to be fishing and not get too caught up in the AFTM rating issue.

Even when fishing bigger rivers I often overline by one line weight or occasionally more. I find the extra line mass useful when casting heavily weighted nymphs or when I might be using streamers.

Alex
Protect the edge.

rabbitangler

Yep Rab i agree with Alex if you fish a small place in tight spaces chances are your casting short so fish a heavier rated line. Indeed Sharpes (I think)  made a cane rod to Lee Wulff's spec for fishing tiny waters, though he probably used it to fish for salmon, 5'10" if memory serves but rated for a six line. A wand but rated for a big line because of short casts.

Malcolm

Rab, I thought it was perfect with a 4 weight. I went through my usual series of test casts with it - long and short overhead and spey casts - and it performed very well. I'd be tempted to use a 5 if I were using it with less than 30ft beyond the tip ring. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

I have the 7 foot  and the 8 foot Fladen. I use the  8 foot  #4 with a  WF#5  Wildfisher line  on the burns. At 20 quid for the rod  you really can't go wrong. It's not a top quality build, and it may not be brilliantly dampened as Alex suggests, but you have to keep in mind it costs 20 quid.  :lol: My biggest criticism would be the cork it's awful and will be full of holes after the first day, but it cost 20 quid.......................... :lol:

Rabmax

Hello all thanks for the replies think a DT 4wt & 5Wt will do the job then.I can always buy a 3 Wt latter on if i think i need it .Cheers All  :D

Go To Front Page