News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tungsten Putty

Started by Rabmax, April 29, 2012, 10:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabmax

Hello all i have been trying to get to grips with this French Nymphing malarky this year :D.Last month i was doing very well indeed during the warm spell we had.The trout were active & i was hooking a fair percentage just after the flies hitting the water.With this freezing cold pish weather we have been getting lately my catch rate has went to rat sh--.I think i need to get my flies nearer the bottom more often to increase my chances at the moment.Rather than constantly changing the weight of my bottom fly i am going to try adding & subtract a little Tungsten Putty to my line.(As i am a lazy bugger :D)If doing this where is it best to add the putty to the leader.Any tips would be welcome on how to increase your chances when the water is cold & the trout aren't very active would be great.It's hard to believe it's nearly May as the waters colder now than it was in most of the winter.Cheers

Traditionalist

Always a problem trying to decide where to add it.  I prefer to use a shot on a dropper. Just change the shot for more or less  weight;

This also controls the distance off the bottom. ( Dropper length ).  You can let a rig like this tick along with the shot bouncing along the bottom, and the fly fishing six inches above it.

Of course you can use the putty on the dropper as well if you want, or moulded around the ring. I think shot is easier and better. The only other option is to try a few alternatives. "Standard" is about a foot from the fly you want to sink.

The leader rings;

When you get your rings, thread them on to a safety ( diaper, or nappy) pin when you take them out of the packet, and when using them, thread your line through the ring, BEFORE! you take it off the safety pin!

The rings are available from various suppliers, This is where I got my last lot;

Rings Carrilon
http://www.carrilon.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=901&osCsid=42105859e46572718f70efcc94fbd99a

I also use these rings on various other rigs, for dry-fly fishing, and even in the salt, on the rare occasions I use a dropper there for special techniques.

TL
MC

Rabmax

I still want to use flies with Tungsten beads on the point as i have so many of them tied up already.Lets say i am using a 2 fly setup with a 3mm bead nymph on the point & a lighter fly on the dropper .But then i need a little more weight would i add the putty between the beadhead point fly & the lighter dropper fly.I already normaly use rings Mike & find the Korda rig rings very good.Cheers

Traditionalist

Quote from: Rabmax on April 29, 2012, 11:40:10 PM
I still want to use flies with Tungsten beads on the point as i have so many of them tied up already.Lets say i am using a 2 fly setup with a 3mm bead nymph on the point & a lighter fly on the dropper .But then i need a little more weight would i add the putty between the beadhead point fly & the lighter dropper fly.I already normaly use rings Mike & find the Korda rig rings very good.Cheers

Very difficult to say.  Adding weight to a long leader,( especially when using a "long leader technique" like French nymphing), can cause a lot of problems, and will cause bad tangles unless you are extremely circumspect with your casting.  The rig acts like a bolas  (  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas ).

The only safe way to do it is to have all the weight in one place. You would need to place the putty as close as possible to the existing weight, but this tends not to work very well and may prevent takes.

One major advantage of the dropper system is that you can fish "weightless" flies on the point and they are more natural in movement.  If you are already using tungsten bead headed flies then there is no point.

Sorry, but I have no other useful suggestions for that.

TL
MC

Traditionalist

Adding more than one weight at different points on the leader makes it virtually impossible to cast the rig. It just tangles. This is because the weights move at different speeds to the line. They are heavier and denser.  The only way to fish such a rig in any controlled fashion is to "lob" it gently.  Only works at short range. No use for French nymphing.

TL
MC

scotty9

Drop Buster1980 a PM, Craig has fished french nymph style pretty excessively and I'm sure will be able to give you a bit of help.

Traditionalist

For larger flies( #14 and above) these work well, you can change the fly very quickly;

http://www.carrilon.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=899

http://www.carrilon.co.uk/images/Snap%20Link%20montage.jpg

no use for small nymphs etc.

TL
MC

Rabmax

Buster when the waters cold should you weight your bottom fly so you can feel it constantly tapping along the bottom.I am waiting on John Tyzacks Dvd on French Nymphing have most of his other Dvds.Last month when it was warm i was thinking it was fairly easy even had a fair few double hook ups.Cheers

zeolite

Well I don't know about "French nymphing" but I have been using the putty very successfully for a stanard nymph setup. 3' 8lb, 6' 6lb mono with 3 nymphs and a stick on foam indicator. The river I have been fishing is a fairly large one with strong currents so I use a lump of putty about 6 inches from the point. I adjust this depending on depth and current, which is very easy and I think the stuff is fantastic. Just warm it with your fingers and adjust when malleable. I stick the excess on the zip handle of my waistcoat for when I need more.
I have also used the rings and I couldn't be scunnered with them but that is my low patience threshold!
Schrodinger's troots pictured above.

Rabmax

Thanks buster going out tomorrow to get some more practice in.Hopefully this wind will drop a little. :D.Cheers all

Go To Front Page