News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Recent posts

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Aquarium Plants
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:58:29 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on Yesterday at 10:34:20 AMI have PMd you Jon.

Got it. Will post you some out later this week. :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Quarantine
Last post by Jon - Today at 12:57:52 PM
Quote from: Wildfisher on Yesterday at 08:47:46 PMHow long do you quarantine new fish for?

I used to have a rack of super cheap  rough and ready 18" tanks kept for various purposes, one being quarantine. Think I used to isolate new arrivals for about a week. Was that enough?

Honestly? If I were a professional aquarist looking to add new fish to a tank containing critically endangered species at a zoo etc it would take three to four months.

In the real world shops and wholesalers don't really bother because of the costs involved. Guppies swimming in brackish water in Sri Lanka one day can have been caught, shipped to a UK wholesaler, resold to a retailer and sold to a hobbyist within a week.....

It's good you're thinking about this though. Buy yourself a cheap and crappy air driven sponge filter and air pump. Remove the sponge from it and place it in the power filter coming with your new tank. That way it will cycle and you can immediately set up a quarantine or hospital tank whenever you need to. Obviously you'll need a spare hater too, but this may make life easier in the future.

Check the fish you want to keep thoroughly in the shop. If they, their tankmates or any other fish in the same centralised filtration system show signs of disease then you might want to rethink your purchase. If all looks healthy, take your first fish home an enjoy.

Two weeks as stated above should do.

Things to bear in mind :-

Removing physical waste from the tank via a gravel vac and by replacing the pre filter media regularly in your power filter will massively reduce the chances of bacterial and fungal infections. As well as increasing it's efficiency.

Keep the mechanical filter media as physically clean as possible by gently washing it in tank water. Do not under any circumstances wash in tap water. You will immediately kill the nitrosomonas and nitrobacteria (good bacteria) immediately because of the chlorine or chloramine in your domestic water supply.

Monitor the nitrate level every week after you set it up an record weekly for the first three months or so. While this isn't essential you'll see the amount of NO3 build up over time and you'll then have an idea as to how good your water quality is. Rams are not the hardiest species out there and keeping this reading under 30ppm would be a good idea (under 10ppm) is better. 

This extra bit of effort should reward you with healthy fish, more spawning activity and higher survival rates of any subsequent fry.

Last post by Fishtales - Today at 10:31:37 AM
You can do if you want, I don't. I still keep checking them though even when I put them in the main tank because they might be carrying something that will affect the resident fish, that is why I keep treatments in the cupboard.
Last post by Wildfisher - Today at 10:24:34 AM
Do you medicate new fish as a preventative?
Last post by Fishtales - Today at 09:22:24 AM
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Quarantine
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 08:47:46 PM
How long do you quarantine new fish for?

I used to have a rack of super cheap  rough and ready 18" tanks kept for various purposes, one being quarantine. Think I used to isolate new arrivals for about a week. Was that enough?
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: No water Changes
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 03:36:07 PM
Good stuff, success! :)
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: No water Changes
Last post by Fishtales - Yesterday at 03:25:03 PM
A few better pictures of the small Corry.

20240504_162547.jpg

20240504_162609.jpg

20240504_162633.jpg

20240504_162643.jpg

20240504_162651.jpg

20240504_162840.jpg

20240504_162937.jpg

Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Aquarium Plants
Last post by Wildfisher - Yesterday at 10:34:20 AM
Quote from: Jon on May 04, 2024, 03:32:57 PMIf you DM me your address when you're ready I'll post you some suitable species gratis.

I have PMd you Jon.
Aquariums & Fish Keeping / Re: Essential Accessories
Last post by Fishtales - May 04, 2024, 07:06:47 PM
Quote from: Jon on May 04, 2024, 05:14:59 PMThe colour difference is probably due to them being different species. There are at least three sold as 'rummynose tetra' found in the hobby. These are Hemmigrammus bleheri, H. rhodostomus and Petitella georgiae.

I found that out after I had bought them :)

As to the Corydoras I can only go by the, now four, Corydoras I have at present although I have seen the same over the years. The gravel I am using is sixty years old at least and some of it even has some shell fragments in it :)
Go To Front Page