News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Cut down sink tip.

Started by piscatus absentis, March 08, 2010, 05:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piscatus absentis

Mr. Stingy has not died.  Last year I stood on my good sink tip and lost the bottom 6 feet.  4 feet remain.  Question.  Is this still usable?

Then I bought a cheap Mullarkeys Aqua Nova that turned out to be shite.  Very heavy to cast.  Question.  If I start cutting bits off this to shorten the head is it ever likely to be usable and castable?

scotty9

On the shortened sink tip, I'd say you need to cast it and see for yourself. If the front taper is too short (which it might be) the line will turnover very harshly, you'll know instantly whether it's useable or not. It will either work or it will turnover and violently kick.

I'd be wary about cutting the other line. If you cut the tip you'll get the same problem as I just mentioned. I'd think you'd probably have to make sure you cut a section out of the level part of the belly. Then splice the line back together. A lot of work... If you start cutting tapers you're on a risky road.

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on March 09, 2010, 02:43:22 PM
you could cut the aqua nova at the back of the belly and splice them back onto the running line, if you keep the rear taper on the running line the profile will remain intact, what your left with is a slightly lighter line, effectively taking out a bit of the head but...the splice will rattle as it goes through the rings.

if your sink tip has lost the tip and you want to fix it you really are stingy :lol:

Hey, that's what i said!

scotty9

What about a sinking trout polyleader and splicing/knotting/loop to looping it to the shortened sink tip? That would extend it again? Or some sort of sinking fluorocarbon leader? Admittedly the second option would sink much more slowly, maybe a salmon size fluoro leader? Who knows, maybe some food for thought?

Alan - i like it!  :lol:

Hope this helps - http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/smoothconnectionsrevisited.shtml

Go To Front Page