News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Tailing loop i.e wind knots

Started by Ardbeg, August 20, 2006, 12:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rabbitangler

Quote from: Traditionalist on March 03, 2007, 01:16:19 PM
Many people have trouble learning to lock their wrists, and this can also cause considerable pain.

Lock your wrist and you definetly will be in pain Mike, wrist break is an essential part of the back cast, if I remember my casting assessment I was told a maximum of two fingers break (sounds like a John Wayne movie, 'Ah'll huv two fingers of wrist break baaaartender!!' :lol:).

Excessive wrist break for most people means flies catching behind or hitting the water, though not desirable in fishing situations thats no bad thing in tournament casting apparently, helps load the rod I'm told. When the rod is in such a bad position most inexperienced casters compensate by injecting 'mair wellie' to drive the cast forward, which is?? too much power, and - probably - a great jerk as the rod is thrown forward. Voila - tailing loops.

If you try too keep toooo flat a cast the the 'loop' becomes toooooo tight & then you can also get a tailing loop, or if you have two or more flies an almighty tangle. The degree of wrist break you allow can open the loop sufficiently to avoid tangles with multiple fly casts.

The moral of the story I suppose is if you concentrate on a smooth, high back, or better still UP cast the forward cast pretty much looks after itself.

Peter

rabbitangler

yep I would agree with those thoughts too. By the way Breac I think you once said you did the SANA instructing assessment, when was that, we must have crossed paths sometime.

Peter

Go To Front Page