News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Re: New rod!

Started by alancrob, May 22, 2007, 12:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancrob

QuoteI got a new reod recently.

"eah boeumb?"  :lol:

Sorry to mock a small typo.

I am a fairly recent convert to the fly and the twice I have moved up in quality in rod and line I have added both yards and consistency to my cast. It is still poor, but as you say - better.

In my opinion it is a combination of the quality of the equipment and the confidence you gain.

Hope you get to try the new rod on some water soon.

Alan

bluezulu

QuoteAnd I've just moved to a beach

driven out of london by the property prices? or just had to sell the house to pay for the new rod?

haresear

QuoteCertainly one rods action might suit your timing better than another.

I think that is very true. However, a good caster can probably utilise the inherent fast action in a "good rod" better than a less talented caster.

I'm only saying that because I know that the rod you have bought is a fast rod. I'm most definitely not saying that only a fast rod is a good rod. It is a case of horses for courses and horses for riders, come to that.

What you can be assured of is that you have good kit and it is, as you say, up to you to practice. Next thing you know you'll be looking at line profiles :D

QuoteThe difficulty was to stop just feeding more line out, at which point it all went to the dogs.

Swithun, you'll know that in a bog standard WF line, you can only aerialise maybe 3 yards of the thin running line at most? I doubt if I can manage that much and still get a nice line out. If you are chasing a nice technique, don't worry too much about distance. Just keep the loops tight.

Once you have that, distance will come, but you may have to alter the line profile if you want distance, which allows you to aerialise a greater length of line.

that's my opinion. Over to the experts...

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Like I say Swithun, I'm no expert.

Have you had a look at Mel Krieger's stuff? Worth a look.

A casting instructor is your best bet of course and I'd recommend Eoin Fairgrieve as a good instructor, but I'm sure there are plenty of good ones.

In day to day fishing, tailing loops are the norm in many situations. If you are fishing a river with steep banks and are yourself below bank level, you may find that you have to cast a very high backcast, yet try to cast a long line to a rising fish at a shallower angle. In other words you have a more acute angle on the backcast than on the forward cast. Tailing loop.

There are ways of working around it to a degree, but there comes a point where it goes to custard. That's fishing and I doubt if even the best casters have answers for every occasion.

Tailing loops on the flat are a different matter and fixable. Sexyloops time.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page