News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

How we tie and look at flies.

Started by Inchlaggan, November 23, 2010, 06:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Many flies do not represent anything found in nature, some do with a huge degree of accuracy.
"We are not making models here" is oft quoted. I do make models (though not of flies), and the plastic kit boxes rarely show an image of a completed model, rather they show an artist's impression of the ship, plane, tank, whatever, in an action setting.
The same can be said of our food- "Serving Suggestion".
I know that it is done, but we rarely look at a fly from the trout's angle of view.
Using art and atifice we create our humble offerings and then take great care to photograph them precisely for the "What have you tied today" thread.
Our much-thumbed fly tying books may contain step-by-step photographs or black and white line drawings.
So what do you make of this?
[attachimg=1]
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

haresear

Has that been photographed in flowing water? That would account for the bunched together tippets and the swept back hackle. The reddish tinge in the photo has me stumped :?

When I tie dry flies  or emerger typy patterns I chuck them in a glass box with a mirror in it so that I can see how they look from underneath without having to get my hair wet :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Robbie

Looks like quite a heavily dressed Black Pennell on a long shank hook. IS it a photograph which has been photo-shopped to look like a painting?

Highlander

It'a poor Black Pennell & looks to me like a poor painting.
" The Future's Bright The Future's Wet Fly"

Nemo me impune lacessit

Malcolm

Has that been Photoshopped with the water colour filter?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page