News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Why Fly Lines Suck

Started by Wildfisher, July 02, 2017, 10:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rannoch raider

Good attitude. That's an excellent site. Lots of interesting stuff there. I like the tagged barrel sighter it's going to be very handy.

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on July 03, 2017, 11:51:28 PM
exactly! far more progressive. and it's not just UK fly fishers; it's the entire UK angling scene

The stuffiness of UK angling may be rooted in centuries of tradition and ownership patterns as well as the class divide and exclusivity  of certain kinds of fishing and waters. Try getting a trout permit on the Spey below Grantown or on any part of The Dee - both are superb trout rivers but complete no go areas for anyone except salmon fishers. It will never change.

On the other hand I struggle to think of any writer more rooted in old fashioned  fly fishing tradition than John Gierach with his quaint split came rods and collar hackled dry flies. His writing style is certainly new world, but his actual fishing is not.   

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2017, 08:55:21 AM
On the other hand I struggle to think of any writer more rooted in old fashioned  fly fishing tradition than John Gierach with his quaint split came rods and collar hackled dry flies. His writing style is certainly new world, but his actual fishing is not.
Chris Yates.... ?  :lol:
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Wildfisher

Quote from: corsican dave on July 04, 2017, 10:44:08 AM
Chris Yates....

Good point. The instant a Kelly Kettle makes an appearance you know you are in for trouble.  :lol:

Seriously though, Gierach is my absolute favourite fishing writer bar none, but he is very much rooted in the past, he most certainly is not progressive however you might define that.

corsican dave

Quote from: admin on July 04, 2017, 11:16:41 AM
The instant a Kelly Kettle makes an appearance you know you are in for trouble.  :lol:
:roflmao

yep!
If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're probably doing something wrong - John Gierach

Go To Front Page