News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Weird tailing loop

Started by davefromtheattic, November 16, 2010, 11:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefromtheattic

The aim till the next season is getting my casting sorted out a bit, so I've been off to the park to practise. I've been using a 5wt Loop AEG for most of last season, with a few outings of a 4wt I treated myself to. Off I went to the park with the plan to start off with a 7wt for more feel (and more weight :() for working on stops with the pick up and lay down. It helped to feel more of whats going on and I was doing really well, not mega distance but decent loops and presentation. I then switched to the Loop with a Snowbee XS and encountered a problem. Right at the end of the cast the leader wouldn't turn over but the speed of the line looked fine. The leader would travel above the main line then right at the end the fly drops down below the main line and doesn't turn over properly. I tried less forearm and more shoulder, higher and lower backcasts, concentrating on stops but it was the same every time. The only thing I can think is forward acceleration, but it was working fine on the 7wt.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave.

haresear

This is very difficult to diagnose without seeing, Daz but here is something to think about.

A far better caster and instructor than I will ever be told me that the later the tailing loop manifests itself, the later the fault has occurred. In other words an early tailing loop is a result of a fault early in the cast. Going by that yardstick, it sounds like your problem happens just before the stop.

It strikes me that if you can cast one outfit OK and have problems with the other, then maybe you
need to adjust your casting stroke to the bend in the less powerful rod. Could be you are stopping the rod too early on the forward cast? You might try extending the forward stroke a tad and see if that sorts things out.

If you post a video with a side view, it could be really useful to see what is going wrong. As I said earlier, a (moving) picture paints a thousand words.

Alex

Protect the edge.

davefromtheattic

Thanks Alex, I'll give that a try. I'm finding it hard to get out in the daylight just now, the bit I go to is lit by streetlights. I'll get a vid sorted out soon.

Dave

rabbitangler

Are you shooting line when you cast?? May be as simple as feathering the line at the end with this outfit to make the final bit of the leader turn over

Wildfisher

Quote from: rabbitangler on November 17, 2010, 08:53:17 AM
feathering the line

The meaning of that term might  not be obvious  to those 'not in the know'  Peter. But I won't get involved!   :lol:

davefromtheattic

No, not shooting line or putting the brakes on the line, just pick up and lay down. I'll get the 4wt out later and see how that behaves.

Dave

Malcolm

As Alex says a video will help. It could be that you are just at the limit of what that rod is doing for your casting style and the fly runs out of steam at the end of the cast. The Loop AEG as I remember it is a very soft rod by modern standards and none the worse for that. It is a genuine 5 weight and great for easy casting distances up to about 50 feet. Beyond that you may find you need a noticeably longer and more powerful stroke than you would with a faster action rod. Otherwise there is not enough impetus to your fly.

I watched a very fine caster recently and at the limit of his very longest casts a similar thing was happening, His cast had simply run out of forward momentum.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

davefromtheattic

Thanks for the advice Malcolm. The Loop does feels very vague and spongy in my hand, it is very light though, as if there is no backbone about it. I'll try the Angel 2 tonight for contrast.

Dave

Wildfisher

You  say changed lines to a Snowbee XS might it be the coating on the Snowbee offers less resistance through the rings, or to put it another way is the coating of the first line you used  rougher and doing the "feathering"    :?    for you and masking a problem that is there in both instances?

davefromtheattic

Ah, that sounds like an interesting idea, The line for the 7wt is quite old. I'll try the 4wt later with the supreme quality Wildfisher line and see how that fares. 

Go To Front Page