News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Rod Loading

Started by Wildfisher, May 08, 2012, 11:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on May 08, 2012, 07:06:33 PM
Alan (aka new fly line designer),

Can you make me one of these curved tip lines so I can cast round corners? 

Easy peasy, round corners! Pah!  90 degrees a doddle, 180 degrees requires my (somewhat expensive) two days, intensive tuition. Straight ahead, just where you want it is the tricky bit. Heather, grass, bracken, leaves, twigs, branches, trees, the dug, fishing companion, rocks, and on one spectacular occasion the car I can land you in, no problem, no graphs, no physics, just pure talent. Rod loading- who needs it?
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 08, 2012, 07:14:27 PM
Easy peasy, round corners! Pah!  90 degrees a doddle, 180 degrees requires my (somewhat expensive) two days, intensive tuition. Straight ahead, just where you want it is the tricky bit. Heather, grass, bracken, leaves, twigs, branches, trees, the dug, fishing companion, rocks, and on one spectacular occasion the car I can land you in, no problem, no graphs, no physics, just pure talent. Rod loading- who needs it?

That's an impressive record Ken. Now of you could just build in a wee "kick" to the left or right you'd be onto a winner  for sure.   :lol:

Black-Don

I haven't looked and won't be bothering to. Very little on that place interests me. Even when people ask simple material questions or the like you seldom seem to get a straight answer...

No pun intended 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Quote from: Alan on May 08, 2012, 06:28:56 PM
swiftly moving on...some arse once told me a good way to get the coils out of a line is to tie the tip end to a tree and stretch it, worked a treat and left me with a nice stretched line with a permanently curved tip,

I seem to remember someone getting advice of that nature on FFF. Come to think of it his name might have been Zoomer  :lol:

Seriously though, another peach was hammer a nail through the end of your fly line into the top of a fence post before stretching   :roflmao

I also remember a thread where someone suggested that you carry your fly line to the river on an old bike wheel to prevent unwanted coils when fishing but the best ever was seeing a guy on the riverbank carrying his fly line on a bicycle wheel  :shock:

Some mothers do 'ave 'em   :)

scotty9

Quote from: guest on May 08, 2012, 10:56:09 PM

I also remember a thread where someone suggested that you carry your fly line to the river on an old bike wheel to prevent unwanted coils when fishing but the best ever was seeing a guy on the riverbank carrying his fly line on a bicycle wheel  :shock:

Some mothers do 'ave 'em   :)

Mug!  :lol:

Wildfisher

Some lines are so long and so bulky they need reels that are the diameter of a bicycle wheel.

bibio1

Just looked at the fff post. How unhelpful can you get?

Any way I now know how to get a curved tip on ma fly line. If your casting upstream do you need one for the right bank and another for the left? Hmmmmm studied maths and physics at uni but struggling with this one.

Cheers
Paul

Wildfisher

Quote from: bibio1 on May 08, 2012, 11:09:35 PM
If your casting upstream do you need one for the right bank and another for the left?

Tricky, but the best solution is probably to get one that kicks erratically. That way the fish is never going to be absolutely certain which side you are coming from. That has to be an advantage and a unique selling point. 

alancrob

QuoteAny way I now know how to get a curved tip on ma fly line. If your casting upstream do you need one for the right bank and another for the left? Hmmmmm studied maths and physics at uni but struggling with this one.

Would you not just turn the rod upside down?

A

Malcolm

Quote from: Alan on May 09, 2012, 12:15:12 AM
a drift free drag is everything'

I can relate to that!

I'm quite convinced that even the top casters don't know what they are really doing half the time, there's far too much going on. I'm just happy that I can get the fly and line where I want it, how I want it: that to me is a perfect cast.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on May 09, 2012, 10:07:00 AM
I can relate to that!

I'm quite convinced that even the top casters don't know what they are really doing half the time, there's far too much going on. I'm just happy that I can get the fly and line where I want it, how I want it: that to me is a perfect cast.

100%. There is just no way anyone can beat the current everytime with a leader and fly line, the water is just too complex for even the best to manage to create some amazing layout.

I think drag free drifts come from 2 things mainly - knowing a little about leader setup and having some casting skills to engage in a hell of a bit or trial and error! There's no substitute for working it out on the water, not to mention every 5 yards the water is completely different  :) That's where the fun is.

Go To Front Page