News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Maximum Good Presentation Distance

Started by Wildfisher, May 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

What in your opinion is the maximum distance you would expect to be able to present a dry fly with reasonable accuracy and subtlety  with a 9 foot #5 rod?  Distance = feet to fly.

Assume no  wind at all, an overhead cast and no obstruction to the back cast.

Inchlaggan

50-60 feet, leader = rod length, single fly, within 4 foot diameter of where I wanted it.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Good stuff guys.

Please understand this is not a competition, I just want to get some idea of what the  average "quality presentation" cast would be.  :D

alancrob

Still water? About 40' including 10' leader!  :roll:  Slightly more with supporting breeze.  :oops:
I can cast nane!

Running water - totally random but I believe the fish to be closer.  :D

A.

Fishtales

As I always have a dry fly on the cast it is however far I cast on the day. As far as accuracy is concerned if it lands close to where I saw the rise then I was accurate. In a breeze up to a strong wind then it usually takes a couple of casts to get it in the right place. In a head wind I just don't bother, I'm just happy if it goes out :)
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

I'm going to assume this is in a park or a still water as it just has no practical application on a river, well apart from the 0.1% of the time. For me 75' or there abouts from foot to fly. Anything further and consistency becomes an issue, usually with leader turnover. I can cast much further but not with what I term dry fly presentation that I'd be happy fishing with - I think this is often forgotten about when people start talking distance.

You'll also want either a DT or a long belly wf to do it comfortably, if you are around the limits of how much line can be shot (and every length of line has a finite amount of line that it will shoot) you'll notice consistency drops off pretty badly.

Inchlaggan

Quote from: scotty9 on May 12, 2012, 08:34:41 PM
I'm going to assume this is in a park or a still water as it just has no practical application on a river, well apart from the 0.1% of the time. For me 75' or there abouts from foot to fly. Anything further and consistency becomes an issue, usually with leader turnover. I can cast much further but not with what I term dry fly presentation that I'd be happy fishing with - I think this is often forgotten about when people start talking distance.

You'll also want either a DT or a long belly wf to do it comfortably, if you are around the limits of how much line can be shot (and every length of line has a finite amount of line that it will shoot) you'll notice consistency drops off pretty badly.

Ask a simple question, get a complicated answer!
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

scotty9

Quote from: Inchlaggan on May 12, 2012, 08:38:56 PM
Ask a simple question, get a complicated answer!

What's complicated? Let me know and I'll make it simpler.

haresear

Fred, Scott, you were on the bank when I cast to that fish I caught on the Eglinton in NZ. How far was that? Sixty feet or something?

About that distance is as far as I would feel comfortable in the accuracy stakes. Accuracy aside, I can still get good soft presentation at longer range, maybe 80 - 90 feet?

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on May 12, 2012, 10:06:49 PM
Fred, Scott, you were on the bank when I cast to that fish I caught on the Eglinton in NZ. How far was that? Sixty feet or something?

About that distance is as far as I would feel comfortable in the accuracy stakes. Accuracy aside, I can still get good soft presentation at longer range, maybe 80 - 90 feet?

Alex

I was trying so hard not to watch you catch it since I hadn't caught anything  :lol: (Cover up for how bad some of my memory is from NZ... too much happened during my time there!)

Go To Front Page