News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Maximum Good Presentation Distance

Started by Wildfisher, May 12, 2012, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Reading these answers I am now thinking about either:

1. Underlining by 2 weights and using a DT
2. Getting the  TCX out again

Actually these two options amount to pretty much the same thing.     :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on May 12, 2012, 11:20:41 PM
if you lift what feels comfortable and effortless and let go how far is it on a tape?

No idea, I have never used a tape and I am hopeless at estimating  distance when casting. When I pace out - say - 10 yards (30 feet) and  place a marker to aim at  I am always astonished how close it seems to be.

dazdidge

Is anybody else reading this feeling a little inadequate? People talking of casting 70 plus feet and still doing it accurately and with good presentation! Fek me but I need some serious practise, I'm lucky if I can cast 30ft from toes to fly and get good presentation. Oh I can cast further but not effectively, seems I am going to have to make a wee trip to that pond in Glasgow for some expert tuition. Fred you need to add an embaressed smiley for me.

Daz

scotty9

Law of diminishing returns Fred, 30' is close, 60' seems much more than double by comparison when you are casting!

Daz - we'd be glad to have you along. Stick up a post if you're going along, as far as I'm aware attendance rates have been hit and miss from a few to zero :D

Malcolm

On a river it varies, with all the currents that I have to control a fly over it's maybe about 50 feet - a bit further in a placid stretch. Beyond that and control just disappears.

On a stillwater, no obstructions, fishing a pair of dries on a 20ft leader it's about 90-100 feet with a nice left to right cross tail wind that would be to within 10ft or so.

I've stood beside Arthur Cove on Grafham a couple of times and he could present accurately with a team of three nymphs on a 24 ft leader at around 110 feet (I think) but he was very good.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

Quote from: Malcolm on May 13, 2012, 12:24:36 AM
On a river it varies, with all the currents that I have to control a fly over it's maybe about 50 feet - a bit further in a placid stretch. Beyond that and control just disappears.

On a stillwater, no obstructions, fishing a pair of dries on a 20ft leader it's about 90-100 feet with a nice left to right cross tail wind that would be to within 10ft or so.

I've stood beside Arthur Cove on Grafham a couple of times and he could present accurately with a team of three nymphs on a 24 ft leader at around 110 feet (I think) but he was very good.

Indeed, he was very good, but he "cheated" somewhat, he used a severely underlined #8 weight.

TL
MC

scotty9

Quote from: Mike Connor on May 13, 2012, 12:49:53 AM
Indeed, he was very good, but he "cheated" somewhat, he used a severely underlined #8 weight.

TL
MC

Any idea what the line weight/length was Mike?

Malcolm

He used a DT5 on a 9.5 ft 7/8 weight rod. He designed the Bob Church Arthur Cove Nymph although it was actually marked 5/6 it was at least a 7 weight (I've tried it) rather like the TCR 5! 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Traditionalist

Quote from: scotty9 on May 13, 2012, 12:59:27 AM
Any idea what the line weight/length was Mike?

a #4 or a #5 full DT as I recall. If you are very good you can aerialise the whole line and it gives delicate presentation even at distance. You are often completely buggered in a wind though.

EDIT: I see Malcolm already answered that. I was a bit too hasty again! :)

TL
MC

haresear

QuoteReading these answers I am now thinking about either:

1. Underlining by 2 weights and using a DT
2. Getting the  TCX out again

Why Fred? Sounds like you are casting to fish at range?
If so, I suggest you would best advised to use a long belly and shoot some line. I struggle to aerialise a lot of line and I can probably cope with more than you :)

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page