News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

9ft 5/6wt advice

Started by paulr, August 12, 2009, 12:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

After the demise of my Nielsen rod the other day I'm looking for a cheap 9ft 5/6wt to do me til the end of the season.
I'm looking at either a Flextec,Spring Creek, or Shakey Trion.
I know everyone has different preferences when it comes to rod choice, but can anyone reccomend any of the ones I've named or tell me if they are absolute shite so I can cross them off my list?

Cheers

Paul

alancrob

I bought a Flextec travel rod last year and find it really easy to use in all conditions.

A.

paulr

Quote from: breac uaig on August 12, 2009, 12:38:57 PM
4pc Fenwick for about ?100

Breac we have different ideas of cheap  :wink:

haresear

QuoteI'm looking at either a Flextec,Spring Creek, or Shakey Trion.

Paul, I've cast the Spring Creek and the Trion and found them both pretty decent. I think Fred let me try a Flextech, but I can't remember if it is one I liked ore one I didn't :?

Alex
Protect the edge.

shanksi

Paul,
I think William was using his Sping creek rod on Saturday when we spoke tou you altho not sure what size/wt the rod is.  Will probably be speasking to him tonight and will ask him.

Ian

paulr

Wisny me you were talking to Shanksi  :)

Cheers for the offer Breac but I'm skint at the moment and looking for a nine footer anyway.

Paul

Malcolm

I got a Guideline Alpha for a friend who was taking up fly fishing. For ?25 I just couldn't fault it. He bought another for when his son came home! Sportfish still have some 6/7 rods left at ?25 (original price supposedly ?119). If the 5/6 is anything to go by the lighter of the two line ratings would be best.

http://www.sportfish.co.uk/product/guideline-alpha-rods   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

I have a shakey trion 9ft 5/6. It's a good rod for the money but i've found it time to move on, lacks that extra bit of oomph  :lol:

In all seriousness though, it would serve you very well for the remainder of the season, certainly the best budget rod around i would say. I managed to break the tip off mine on holiday the other week and after taking the scissors to it for a bit of customisation, it is a far nicer, better casting rod as an 8' 8'' 5/6!!! It's that bit faster and stiffer, ok artificially!  :D I'll let you try the customised trion if i make it late on thursday!

haresear

Paul, I've cast Scotty's Trion and it is excellent for the price.

I had a Vision Intro too for a while and it is a lovely rod as well. I was impressed by it as a river rod and it roll casts nicely.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page