News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windknot

if you cant beat them  join them
                                           why dont we get model boat men to cruise thier boats about the pond an we take take them out with heavy beaded flies now that would be casting practice we could score points for how many strikes we get just like battle ship na after another couple off beers this might be a good idea okay got it feeder rods with 3oz leads now that would be fun aye i know you lot are to resposible for that but a bet you wish you could okay back to the grass have you tried thinking of another venue might be an option

Wildfisher

Is this still going guys? Have not seen much posted about it for a while.

Malcolm

Fred,

Yes it is I've been down about 4 times over the last two months and was there on Sunday morning introducing one of the guys from the River Leven who was wanting to try out a few rods. It's one of the great advantages of the club - you can wander up to someone have a natter and tryout their set up. In fact it's (almost) expected.

Last week was quiet because of the weather (and two regulars were off passing instrutor exams) but with the help of Gasman on this forum we had Martin set up with a dozen rod/line combinations and disabused him of the notions that "expensive - good" and "very expensive = perfect"!

It's been a real eye opener for me. I'm a totally self taught fisherman but watching the way that Alex, Alan and Alberto amongst others cast and manipulate line has been brilliant. I'm sure it'll put more fish on my flies next season.

In the nature of these things you always learn more than you teach.

Malcolm     
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Excellent  Malcolm. You guys are certainly fortunate, there is nothing remotely like it up in this neck of the woods.

These things have to be regular, varied and reliable to be of any real benefit and it looks like  that is exactly  what you have there.

haresear

QuoteIn the nature of these things you always learn more than you teach.

Very true Malcolm. At the GCC, apart from speaking to, casting with and learning from the likes of sublime casters like Andrew Toft, I've been asked quite searching questions from your good self among others. These have had me thinking hard on the day and trying to solve problems by putting myself in a fishing situation rather than on a park pond. Interesting stuff and to me, much more challenging than casting to the moon (I still fall into that trap too, of course). :)

We shouldn't forget that at the end of the day, the whole point is to present a fly to a fish in such a way that the fish is likely to be deceived. The fish doesn't give a toss which cast is used.

Batten down the hatches for tomorrow :shock:

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on October 31, 2009, 10:17:27 PM
Fred,

Yes it is I've been down about 4 times over the last two months and was there on Sunday morning introducing one of the guys from the River Leven who was wanting to try out a few rods. It's one of the great advantages of the club - you can wander up to someone have a natter and tryout their set up. In fact it's (almost) expected.

Last week was quiet because of the weather (and two regulars were off passing instrutor exams) but with the help of Gasman on this forum we had Martin set up with a dozen rod/line combinations and disabused him of the notions that "expensive - good" and "very expensive = perfect"!

It's been a real eye opener for me. I'm a totally self taught fisherman but watching the way that Alex, Alan and Alberto amongst others cast and manipulate line has been brilliant. I'm sure it'll put more fish on my flies next season.

In the nature of these things you always learn more than you teach.

Malcolm     

I woosed out of the rain last week, think i'll venture out tomorrow though!  :D

One great thing about Malcolm is the fact that there is no impossible casting situation. I have never met someone who is so keen to work out how to catch the impossible fish. His thoughts on these matters are simply brilliant. Listening to your fishing experiences and problems is incredibly educational and down right enjoying in trying to work out a way around it. Malcolm you need to give yourself credit for the casting club too.....It's amazing the amount of knowledge that's on tap at the casting club!

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on November 08, 2009, 12:24:22 AM
who's going tomorrow?

I'd love to Alan,  but spending a few hours  with  you and Alex is not worth the 7 hour round trip.   :D

I think the weather will be fine tomorrow anyway, so have a good one.

haresear

Just you and me Alan. Sad bastards :) I'll bet those swans put up a fair scrap. Bring some white polyyarn :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: haresear on November 08, 2009, 01:36:03 AM
Bring some white polyyarn :)

Far better to use that old reliable bread crust imitation  pattern  "The Mother's Pride"

Works well for stockie 'bows too I'm told...................  :D

Wildfisher

Well?  How'd it go?

Did you  softie west coast guys wimp-out because of the cold?   :makefun

I had a wee spell myself today, the line was freezing to the grass, just ever so slightly.  Terrific  for roll casts ........  :D

Go To Front Page