News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

No more coffee for you Alex  :makefun.As for the van it is in need of a service. Thanks for spotting the wrong date's on the photo,s.                                                                                                        Thank You   Gary  :)

rabbitangler

Quote from: Alan on December 20, 2009, 06:15:26 PM
Malcolms 2 section challenge has to go live...

any members out there want to place bets on how far half a rod can cast?

UI saw a couple of casters having a shootout of the top section of a Sage @ 90' then one went for that wee bit and the tip ended up as a two piece.

scotty9

Quote from: rabbitangler on December 21, 2009, 03:46:47 PM
UI saw a couple of casters having a shootout of the top section of a Sage @ 90' then one went for that wee bit and the tip ended up as a two piece.

That's brilliant! Also goes to show the lifetime warranty does have it's uses!  :lol:

Malcolm

It was very interesting and forces really good timing. The wee rod in question was an old, very soft actioned, 5 piece, 7.5 ft 3/4 weight and we were playing about with an AFTM 3 line.

I did measure out a cast with the full rod at just under 80 feet so it was surprising that with just the tip 3ft we could cast not far short of that.

Separate from this: one of the things which interested me more was just how good the older slower actioned rods are at casting to targets at normal fishing ranges.

The normal  river fishing range to me would be 30 to 50 feet. That means once you deduct the length of the rod and leader than there will be between 10 and 30 feet of line beyond the tip ring. At that range I personally find the modern fast actioned rod very difficult to use.

This is probably because I don't possess one so my casting stroke doesn't suit fast actioned rods at close range, all my rods are very slow actioned by current standards.

Gasman had an older Abu rod that even underlined cast these "river fishing distances" with a great deal of authority and accuracy without any fuss. When I tried to do the same with a much more modern and much faster rod I had some difficulty achieving the effortless cast and turnover. The more modern rod was splendid to use at longer distances.

It does raise the question: when you try out a rod do you spend most of your trialling attempting to cast the distance you would fish with that rod or would you attempt to cast much further than that? It seems to me that if we are trying out a river rod that most of the trial should be with between 10 and 40 ft of line beyond the tip ring. Anything further would be unusual - for me anyway. A 4 weight that can deliver a nymph perfectly at 70 feet may not be ideal at shorter distances. 

Malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Very good post Malcolm.

As you say it really depends on the rods use as to how you should trial it. I'm looking at getting a new rod as i have friends flying out to the states on hogmany so cheap rods here we come! I am actually tempted to buy an all out casting rod since the rod I have at the moment is lovely to fish with.

River Chatter

Go for it Scotty, I've been exploiting holidaymakers for years! And Alan, that's just about the most cynical post I've read for ages... roll over Fred, you've got competition!  :lol:

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on December 22, 2009, 10:22:33 PM
your right, my appologies, its my age, maybe i should get a stiff one :lol:

Is that possible at your age?  :makefun

Apologies for that, now to get back to the serious stuff. I've been reading around a fair few places and the tcr seems popular by a lot of anglers on a NZ forum. It's also without question the most common distance tool. Although the Hardy Angel TE2 is getting a stonking write up by a few of the distance chaps, they say it's the tool for the job if it wasn't so prone to breakages.

aweman

Hi Guys

Just purchased an 7ft Fladen Vantage Wt 4 for ?21.00 it would go with Gasmans suite or Alan,s ladies soleplates that he wears to the ponds.

Malc

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on December 24, 2009, 03:09:46 PM
my bargain 'womens' salopettes burst when i sat down, my arse is officially to big in them :gay4

Hahaha, you were so proud of them too!  :lol:

Wildfisher

So how many of you sad bastards will be out casting today them ............................. :makefun

Go To Front Page