News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

Same age as him surely   :crap
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Protect the edge.

gasman

I think the rod is about 12-15 years old if the dates that fishtales has given 1996-98  :shock:

gasman

Sorry Alex that would great to try you old rods out.
And as for age how cares  :makefun

Tweed

I am the proud owner of an 11 foot #6-8 Daiwa Amorphous Whisker Osprey complete with extension butt.  I must have used this rod, my only one, for about 15 years and loved (still love) it.  It's a bit on the heavy side (known to my friends and I affectionately as "the beast"), but as a loch-style rod IMHO it was superb (see attached pic with a wee troot fae up north).  I "upgraded" to an Orvis rod a couple of seasons ago and while it's a nice enough rod, and a good deal lighter, it does seem to lack the oomph of the beast.  I always thought of it as a mid to tip action rod, not that I know much about such things.  

I also had a Daiwa prior to this, that was trully through actioned/floppy and I think may be the Whisker type to which you refer.  It's 10 foot #6-8 (minus the top couple of inches which I snapped off in post-catch excitement walking back up the bank).  If this is indeed what you're after, you can have it in exchange for a 5 minute lesson at one of your casting club meets!  I don't think I could ever part with 'the beast' though.

haresear

Tweed, you (and all) are welcome to come along to the casting club.  It is a pity we can't use the water at present, due to people walking with their kids :shock: and playing ice-football on it. Casting off ice and snow is worse than casting on grass. No chance of a roll cast and no friction/surface tension to start loading the rod.

I should sell rods rather than acquire them, but you are very welcome to a lesson. Just as long as I don't have to cast "the beast" or arm wrestle with you :)

Alex

Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: haresear on January 04, 2010, 10:57:57 PM
Tweed, you (and all) are welcome to come along to the casting club.  It is a pity we can't use the water at present, due to people walking with their kids :shock: and playing ice-football on it. Casting off ice and snow is worse than casting on grass. No chance of a roll cast and no friction/surface tension to start loading the rod.

I should sell rods rather than acquire them, but you are very welcome to a lesson. Just as long as I don't have to cast "the beast" or arm wrestle with you :)

Alex

I was standing in my front garden this afternoon practising that bastard 90 degree curve.....that Borger fellow has a lot to answer for! Found he has a simple alternative to the corkscrew, he calls it the inverse v curve i think. Didn't manage it! Though i did get one corkscrew!! Watching his videos its obvious im going wrong.

Was hoping to get onto some water tomorrow but i'm ill, again. Remember i said i was feeling a bit dodgy on sunday...?

AH - this is what i actually meant to say. In my garden there's aout 6'' of soft, powdery snow. You can cast off that, the line sinks enough if you switch or spey cast.

haresear

Glasgow casting club has relocated to Scotty's front garden :lol:

Hope you are feeling better soon Scott.

Alex
Protect the edge.

gasman

Sorry to here that Scotty .Get a hot toddy  .

scotty9

Cheers guys, hopefully feel better tomorrow but i have my doubts  :( Enjoy the snow casting folks!

Go To Front Page