News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

I?m full of admiration for you guys, it seems to be  a very successful and active casting club you have got going there.

There appears to be a  real determination to keep it going on  a regular basis that is essential if it is to be of any genuine  worth.

There is nothing at all like it our in our area and that may be  because most ?trout fishing?  is done in small,  artificially stocked ponds where only the most rudimentary skills are required for success. 

I hope  you can keep the momentum going; your infectious enthusiasm can only be a good thing and I?m very happy our forum is helping to spread the infection!   :D

scotty9

If you want to say......then say!

Alan has nailed it as to why there is success. It has turned into a social scene as well obviously, people come along and chat and do some casting. They do their own thing and know they can ask if they have a question. At one point on Sunday, Alex was off teaching the young lad, Alan was at the other end teaching another newcomer, i went off to teach one of the guys to double haul and the chaps left were casting together, enjoying themselves i presume! It's the relaxed nature that's the big thing IMO!

Demos start again this week, miss it at your peril!  :lol: Important starting point in individual development hopefully!

scotty9

Should also say my reasons for going - originally it was to learn to cast properly so i could leave the frustrations of not having a clue what you're doing behind. Now i have a genuine interest in fly casting, both to help others and develop my skill as far as possible. It's also a good laugh too!

haresear

There were a few weeks when the bad weather threatened to disrupt things, but I think we have only had to cancel for one day since May last year.

The members as Alan says, are what holds the thing together. Well done to all who turn out, come rain or shine.

Alan, Scotty and I had a long discussion afterwards about how to keep the club going forward. It is quite difficult to get round everybody and make best use of our time. For example I didn't get around to talking to Adam or Aweman at all this week and felt bad about it, so Gasman, Aweman, Malcolm, Paulr, Deergravy, Riverchatter and any other forum members I've missed out, feel free to make suggestions. Tell us what you want by PM or on here and we'll do our best to help.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Yup, it sounds really great guys. It looks like you have the diversity and  have tapped into  real local enthusiasm.  Other than the salmon guys, of which there are many,   genuine  fly fishers, who don?t spend most of their time  on the fake stockie ponds   are pretty thin on the ground up here. It?s very rare to meet one on the river, which is great in some ways of course  :8),  but also quite sad in others.

haresear

Quote from: admin on January 18, 2010, 09:55:25 PM
Yup, it sounds really great guys. It looks like you have the diversity and  have tapped into  real local enthusiasm.  Other than the salmon guys, of which there are many,   genuine  fly fishers, who don?t spend most of their time  on the fake stockie ponds   are pretty thin on the ground up here. It?s very rare to meet one on the river, which is great in some ways of course  :8),  but also quite sad in others.

You know Fred, most of the guys at the club have either expressed an interest in trying river fishing, or have recently been fishing rivers. It is quite refreshing. Most of us are no spring chickens mind.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Alex,

To be fair I suppose it has  to be remembered that access to trout fishing on our local river, the Don, can be very expensive,  restrictive as a result of the way the PO is run by the overseeing authority and the better value water is a long way from anywhere.  Any youngster wishing to take up fly fishing may feel  pretty restricted where he or she can go or even afford to go,   so  perhaps it?s not surprising the stew ponds  are popular, although for an unaccompanied youngster even this would not be easy. It does not bode well for future skill levels.

Malcolm

It's a good club and you've conveniently chosen a place on my way home on Sunday mornings! I have wondered about having the odd session at a river not too far away as a change of scene.

One of the things I like is that there are often new people to meet, some whom I haven't met for years - like Alberto and Aweman, new casts to try and new tackle to try. I'm absolutely sure some people have saved a small fortune by coming along then buying Fladen vantages. I tried Aweman's 7ft #3 this week (with a #4). Wonderful. The bugger asked for it back.

Also tried a Helios #6  (great roll casting rod - totally effortless the way it chucks a line), Sage TCR #5 (no comment), Scott E2 (lovely), Scotty's Loop and in the meantime I saw my Harrison 3 weight when I put it together and again when I put it in the car. Get the picture?   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

deergravy

I'll try and get down this Sunday - not picked up a rod since Crask, and I'm getting twitchy..

Any of you tried the Danish Casting Game?
Sort of like crazy golf for fly rods, would take a wee bit of setting up, and you need a decent sized  patch of grass, but it's good fun and a nice change.

Dave

haresear

I think the Danish casting games certainly look interesting and would be good fun, but are maybe a wee bit involved and dare I say it aimed at advanced casters. On the other hand, something like that might just be the catalyst to spur some people on to the next level.

http://www.washingtoncouncilfff.org/NWFCE2006DanishCastingGames.htm

Alex
Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page