News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Dave the Danish Casting games are top notch but maybe a scope too far for a "main event". Count my ass in though if anyone is willing to set it up and compete  :8)

gasman

Hello to all the Glasgow casting club.
I am in the dug house with shmbo because I was late back from the casting club.
I have another challenge for this sunday.
I hope to see you all this Sunday.

Kind regards

Gary :hat2;

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on January 19, 2010, 05:36:18 PM
is there a beginners version of the danish casting thing? a few were a bit nervous about the last gassman challenge, im thinking it should encourage learners rather than us trying to beat each other, rather like the idea of a regular gasman challenge, its got a ring to it.

ill lay on danish stroodles for winners :lol:

Er duh! You just make it easier! Or look at Carlos's casting games that i sent you.

Bear in mind the whole idea behind the danish casting games is for more advanced casters to practice and get refinement through competition. You need a score. And when you next do it your score will reflect whether you are better, worse or the same.

IMO for these style of casting games you need enough knowledge and ability in your basic stroke to be able to chop and change your cast. How many without understanding of a cast can through a curve around a cone and place their fly in a ring? (I'm not saying I can but i know how, completely different!  :lol: :lol: :lol:)

haresear

QuoteIMO for these style of casting games you need enough knowledge and ability in your basic stroke to be able to chop and change your cast. How many without understanding of a cast can through a curve around a cone and place their fly in a ring? (I'm not saying I can but i know how, completely different!  Laughing Laughing Laughing)

Quotets not much fun for beginners seeing good casters doing these things, i think it should be more of a confidence building thing, they need to have a chance of winning, we can always do it after they have gone of course.

Although this will be fun for some, it will be pointless and in fact dispiriting for others. I suggest we let gasman set "gasman's challenge of the week" and take it from there (if you are ok with that Gary? :))

I'm not sure the more complex casting games should be taking place during "club time" either. I would suggest that it could be an added-on thing - or a separate day altogether.

Shall we discuss by PM? or is this of any interest to anyone else?

Alex   

Protect the edge.

scotty9

Alan - hence why in the PM i said: after  :D

I'll send the next bit in PM, not for public view!

gasman

Just wait until Sunday and bring your camera. :8)

Gary

deergravy

I've had a go at the Danish Casting Games, really enjoyed it.
I don't think it's as intimidating as one might think. Most of the stations are at short range, so you don't need to be able to cast for miles to have a good shot at it - just as well in my case.
Best not to take the scoring too seriously and just have a bit of fun pissing around with fancy presentations.
Hopefully, if you're struggling to, for example, curve a cast round at 90 degrees, someone will be there to help you.
Having targets to aim at makes it more fun and effective, I think.

Not something you could realistically do on a casual basis down at the pond, but I'd recommend setting it up somewhere, sometime...
Like Alex says, maybe an add-on or a seperate event.
But I don't think it's necessarily only for advanced casters - anyone could pick up a few wee tricks which might actually work in real fishing situations

I'm more than happy to muck in with setting it out.

scotty9

Ardbeg, will see what I can do if you're actually wanting an insight into the world of the casting club!

Just to echo Alan's comments:

Demonstration is on the Foundation Casting Stroke

Please do NOT set up rods before the demonstration. There is a very important reason behind this that should help gain a fuller understanding and improved learning.

Malcolm

It's difficult Alan, the instructors do a terrific job pulling the whole thing together and instructing at various levels but it's like teaching everyone from primary 1 to first year university students!
Maybe trite, but I think it will work for those who are interested in the lesson of the day.

There are groups. For everyone there is a social element. Apart from that

1. The teachers - who also like to learn and test tackle
2. Beginners and improvers interested in the basics
3. Competent casters of various levels who aren't teachers but interested in improving or learning new things

...and of course the double handers who do their own thing for the most part. With a club like this all of these groups have to be happy - including the teachers 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 20, 2010, 12:42:36 AM
there is just not enough time to help everyone, we have tried groups and various other things and never quite got it right,

How about  using the Norman Tebbit "get on your bike" approach?

In this case it would involve bringing in some instructors  from up this way where there is less  demand.  :lol:

Go To Front Page