News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

WHB I can't say I have but the minute a shooting head is involved my interest disappears. My interest a 'normal' fly line. At the moment standard WF or DT but I will be playing with the long belly WF soon. Need to stop trying to cast at distances, once my assessment is over and done with I'll go back to it  :lol:

Malcolm

Quote from: Alan on February 01, 2010, 08:20:04 PM
WTB, i cut a hardy DT in half once and used mono as running line, out of 10 casts only one didnt tangle the one cast that went, went miles but it was truly horrible to use.

I've got a 13 yard AFTM13 head with Amnesia running line upstairs somewhere. I'll guarantee you'll join the 50 yard club (like the mile high club for casting instructors) with that and that delicate wee rod I brought down a couple of months ago. 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

gasman

Sorry Alan  about the demo  :(  also when the hell did gasman learn to double haul?
1. Attend Glasgow Casting Club.
2.Daiwa Whisker + DT4.( Timing )
3.Casting to targets.

All the best,
Gary  :mrgreen:

aweman

Gassman

Doint forget the tune that you use when hauling.

Malc

Malcolm

I had one of my very short and sporadic visits to the casting club today. Pulling out my usual 3/4 weight 7.5ft rod. Alan shouted accross - "don't set  that up yet I've got a rod for you to try".

It's one of the great things about the casting club - there's always a new rod or line to try - and everyone is generous with tackle and time.

This one was unusual; an old 10.5 ft split cane. Now I like split cane in short river rods up to about 8ft or so but this was something else. It makes one appreciate the sheer choice we have today. Don't get me wrong. It cast very well in the windy conditions but the idea of sitting in a boat for a day with something of that weight would certainly give pause for thought.
To jaw like this

scotty9

If anyone feels they could do with a wee bit of muscle building, then a cane rod is the way to go!  :shock: I'm still feeling slighting scared after my two minutes with that rod! Good to have tried a cane rod though, very interesting.

Malcolm

Casting with a long cane rod is a very different experience for those of us who weren't brought up in the cane era. The short modern cane rods are superb but with the long old ones there are some things which are simply impossible, the rod  doesn't react quickly enough. On the other hand they are very tolerant of underlining. Yesterday we had a 5 weight line on a rod which was a 7 or 8 weight and even in the wind it cast short distances with much more authority and with greater ease than carbon rod. There is also the timing aspect!

I don't think the longer single handed cane rods have any place in modern fishing. However if I discover some long lost inheritance due to me I would buy a 7ft 9 top class cane rod very quickly indeed.
To jaw like this

aweman

Alan

If you like to try out the cane i can give you some numbers,   However if you would wear your SANA hat I would do it for you for nothing

Malc

scotty9

aweman

me obviously....i think :lol:

sorry about that :roll:

Go To Front Page