News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aweman

There is a nice stretch of bank at the Whitecart where it runs into the Clyde. I may be able to obtain permission for us to use it.

malc

gasman

I thought you did not drink ?  :makefun

Nothing wrong with some rain, just get you duck suit on.  :makefun

all the best,
Gary.  :8)

Malcolm

I recommended a cheap wee burn rod to Bandy Catcher last week: the Fladen Vantage 7ft 3 weight as the best cheap wee rod I've cast with.

Today Aweman was kind enough to let me have his today to try again.

This time I tried it to find out it's limitations. It had a 4 weight line on it today and it was bitterly cold and windy. First things first - it didn't start to feel right until about 20 ft of line is beyond the tip ring. Not really surprising. It felt to me at it's best  between 25 and 40 ft or so. It would cast further but I think that is where it will be best. It roll cast and overhead cast just fine. It's definitely a better casting rod than some I've tried that are much more expensive. For a wee river rod for those that don't have much call for a more expensive rod it's great. Ideal for children too I would think. They cost less than ?25! Maybe some others from the casting club who have tried it would like to comment too?
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

Try it with a #4 or #5 weight line John. It sounds to me as if it needs a bit more weight to work it at short distances which you will get in the bigger sizes.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Certainly carbon fibre isn't the best material for shortlining in my view (or it may be just me).

A very few carbon rods seem to cope with ultra short lines otherwise it's just a case of using a heavier line. I was using a glass rod on Sunday very flexible and great for short and medium distance but a bit heavier and less authoritative at distance.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

I had a silk one at one time and I think the tapered cast was the taper.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

gasman

Here's a photo of Alan,Aweman and Malcolm with the Fladen 7 feet 3#.
The rod was over-lined with a Snowbee xs 4# f.w.f,but it did not feel right to me.
Would like to try it with a 4dt.
I have had the Fladen 8 feet 4# but the rod would not work with 4#, put a 5#on much better.
I also had the Fladen 9 feet 5# again this rod would not look at the 5#. Ended up having to put a 7# on
to make that rod work.

All the best,
Gary  :8)

scotty9

Most impressive level of commitment at the casting club today, we had a WFF member travel all the way from fife to the casting club! Good effort Dave! Hopefully you got out of it what you were looking for, try out a whole load of different rods, get some casting advice etc. For the record you're one of the fastest learners I've seen...... I think we caused Dave a bit of information overload!

tenfootfive

so you folks do this every Sunday morning? - I've got 2 daughters now settled in Glasgow and Airdrie and we are sometimes down from the North visiting...would be interesting to take a turn by....see you're speaking about 7' 3# - Igot one through my son-in-law - who was working in the G.A.C.at the time last year or so- Wychwood variety - lovely little thing....the grandson took to it straight away....I have normally no need for such tackle hereabouts but made me think of looking for opportunities

scotty9

Quote from: tenfootfive on March 14, 2010, 09:18:36 PM
so you folks do this every Sunday morning? - I've got 2 daughters now settled in Glasgow and Airdrie and we are sometimes down from the North visiting...would be interesting to take a turn by....see you're speaking about 7' 3# - Igot one through my son-in-law - who was working in the G.A.C.at the time last year or so- Wychwood variety - lovely little thing....the grandson took to it straight away....I have normally no need for such tackle hereabouts but made me think of looking for opportunities

Yep mostly. It's worth posting when you are coming though and what you are after so the right people are there! Perfect example was today Dave came along and I brought a few 5 weights, Malcolm brought a great selection of bigger boat rods and smaller rods but if Alex had been there, Dave could have tried numerous other 5s and 6s! People take days off to do other things obviously. Numbers will probably start to drop as the season starts....

Just make a post when you are planning on coming along and what you want out of it!

Go To Front Page