News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenfootfive

Quote from: scotty9 on March 14, 2010, 09:27:39 PM
Yep mostly. It's worth posting when you are coming though and what you are after so the right people are there! Perfect example was today Dave came along and I brought a few 5 weights, Malcolm brought a great selection of bigger boat rods and smaller rods but if Alex had been there, Dave could have tried numerous other 5s and 6s! People take days off to do other things obviously. Numbers will probably start to drop as the season starts....

Just make a post when you are planning on coming along and what you want out of it!
Thank you and congrats on your elevation...I had a cast at Wolfclyde this time last season for the first time since I was wee[50 years ago]...and my grandfather was a bailiff there...and watched Patrick Proctor..and pal casting at targets and god knows what else...conversation was limited...is that what you had to do?......... Casting off both shoulders comfy is to me the most important thing

Malcolm

It was good to meet Dave today. There was a blustery wind blowing which made it more difficult but Scott did a great job anyway. I can't see myself being there very often during the season unless the evening sessions start again.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: tenfootfive on March 14, 2010, 10:58:05 PM
Thank you and congrats on your elevation...I had a cast at Wolfclyde this time last season for the first time since I was wee[50 years ago]...and my grandfather was a bailiff there...and watched Patrick Proctor..and pal casting at targets and god knows what else...conversation was limited...is that what you had to do?......... Casting off both shoulders comfy is to me the most important thing

Yeah accuracy was one of the tasks, strangely especially since it was rather windy, it turned out being one of my best performed tasks on the day! Accuracy becomes remarkably easy once you devote a bit of time to it and use your brain! First time I did accuracy at casting club it was a disaster, now I'd be confident of putting the fly onto any target.

Casting off both shoulders - that's a good one, you've picked out a skill that's actually useful! :D I'm sure you'll be able to get taught how to do it easy.

Malcolm - I guess evening sessions will start again when clocks go forward? I'm itching to go fishing too!

tenfootfive

Thankfully, casting off both shoulders is something I am comfy with- thru luck and experience...but I reckon its no2 basic skill to aquire from the boat perspective

davefromtheattic

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone at casting club for making me feel welcome. I'd like to thank Scott and Malcolm for going to the trouble of bringing down some rods for me to try and both Scott and Alan for their help with my casting. I feel like I'm on the right track now  :D

Wildfisher

Well, not Glasgow and not even a casting club - no such thing up here - but for the first time since mid December our field is snow-free and I managed 1/2 hour casting  when I got home from work!

Using my old Nielsen Powerflex #4  /  #5 9 foot, concentrating on my stops (aye Alex, especially   on the forward cast  :lol:)   and it was casting beautifully,  great "feel".

Think I  may give the Sage a wee rest and use the Nielsen for a while.

Next thing will be practising  casting through hoops to improve loop  control.

scotty9

Fred - good effort! Stop being a lightweight though and get out in the snow next time!

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on March 16, 2010, 08:00:05 PM
Fred - good effort! Stop being a lightweight though and get out in the snow next time!

Sorry Scott, but that's not snow in your picture. That's just a spilled tin of whitewash. Snow starts  at 2 feet up here, we consider anything less as a mere dusting of hoar.   :D

scotty9

:D Good point! The deepest here was around a foot (not at time of picture!) but one thing I did notice is that you can roll cast in soft snow, the line sinks just enough to provide a wee bit of resistance  :8)

gasman

so here is the question...what are the things people want to learn? is it just casting further and hauling?

1. Over Head Cast
2. Roll Cast
3. Shooting Line
4.Double Haul
5.Casting Off both-sides
6.Change of Diertion cast
7.Mending Line

First hour on the water stop for coffee, then move over to the grass.

All the best,
Gary

Go To Front Page