News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: admin on March 17, 2010, 02:11:01 PM
The main problem I have with casting at targets on the grass is it encourages me to follow through on the forward  cast - i.e. point the rod at the target  opening up the loop. This is a problem many self taught caster have, I see it often,  and it's hard to overcome. It can make for splashy  presentation on water. This is  not just a problem I have with targets on grass, I have seen it discussed on Sexyloops too. It's just something to be aware of.

Fred, I got this one from Sexyloops. Try casting through a vertical hoop suspended say 2 feet off the ground. You are trying to cast your fly, whole leader and the tip of your line through the hoop from about 25 feet away. Once you have the hang of this, try it again from further back.

This will get you focused on getting a tight loop (you will have to stop the rod crisply) and altering your trajectory according to the distance cast. It is described as a short range exercise, but I think it would useful for teaching someone to cast into the wind too. 

Alex
Protect the edge.

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on March 17, 2010, 06:03:05 PM
i cant visualise this, you could try 'pop and drop' aka peter anderson, the pop cast 3' above the target produces the loop and the drop takes the power out, for accuracy the should hover above the target..when fishing you hover well short of the fish though and shoot a wee bit on the final cast,
the final presentation will allways use less force than the false cast though, sometimes almost decelerating in the second half of the stroke, or am i picking it up wrong?

No that's fine - the big distinction is fishing accuracy and target accuracy. Need to make sure you practice delicacy to targets. Also want to lengthen line each time, not start with a predetermined length ala the assessment. One thing about letting it drop is wind plays havoc  :D

scotty9

I agree.

Also - they invented gentleman's clubs for people your age  :makefun

River Chatter

Quote from: Alan on March 17, 2010, 11:41:31 PM
never saw the point in gentlemans clubs, nae burds, bunch of old poofs i reckon :lol: anyway belonging costs money,

What this tells me Alan is that you are not married or in a relationship that commits you to lengthy periods in the company of females Females that impose unrealistic expectations on you, for example that you behave in a civilised manner while in her company and accept that your default behaviour is unnaceptable and the activities that you naturally gravite towards are pointless and a distraction from you responsibilities.  Stravaiging, drinking malt, puffin' cigars, scratching your testicals and farting in public come to mind. And yes I am married!  :x

davefromtheattic

Second that! If only someone had told me, it's all so different before the shackles are bound! Ach, the grass is always greener, eh?  :lol:

Wildfisher

Seems a while since Alberto's name cropped up in a casting club context; has he moved on?

scotty9

Quote from: admin on March 18, 2010, 11:56:10 AM
Seems a while since Alberto's name cropped up in a casting club context; has he moved on?

No he's still around. Alberto just seems to have been very busy - the gaia meet, his fly dressing club, the indoor casting club etc.

scotty9

From a few weeks ago, i remember some dude taking photos:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=561&p=207102&hilit=fly#p207102

For the record I am not in them before any starts getting ideas about who I am!  :lol: Nor Alan or Alex. The picture of Andrew with the orange line is pretty good though!

paulr

Quote from: scotty9 on March 18, 2010, 09:49:57 PM

For the record I am not in them before any starts getting ideas about who I am!  :lol: Nor Alan or Alex. The picture of Andrew with the orange line is pretty good though!

...but that's you with the dodgy haircut in the tight jeans and buckles.... :dunno

Harpo

Quote from: paulr on March 18, 2010, 11:22:55 PM
...but that's you with the dodgy haircut in the tight jeans and buckles.... :dunno

Bollox I was just about to say the same thing Paul...admit Scotty don't be shy...have you got skin tight waders as well :shock:

Go To Front Page