News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Wish I hadn't posted that now!  :lol:

I love some skinny jeans and some buckles. They make me look good when i'm walking. If anyone can find skin tight waders, i might be interested. But they must be designer  :gay4

haresear

Protect the edge.

scottish-loch-lad

I noticed the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang is in the photos on the last page !!

quality

Malcolm

Interesting trying out Jim's (Teither) double handed shooting head outfit today. Very interesting as I've never used a shooting head outfit on a salmon rod before. Some advice from Jim and both Alex and I were putting out very decent casts in a short time.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

I enjoyed my flirtation with the double hander, courtesy of some great advice from Teither. I've never been very good (crap actually) with the big rod, but Teither gave me some good tips. Thanks Jim, but that shooting head flattered my casting.

Alan and I stayed for hours after everyone finished and I set up some hoops and cones. We were practising accuracy and other stuff until about 5pm or later. Some of it was quite divorced from reality (we came up with "the radiator" which is more like a majorette's trick than a cast - think it was all the hula hoops that did it) but mostly it was really interesting.

Highlight of the day was seeing Malcolm hanging upside down like fruit bat from a cherry tree. He was retrieving someones "fly". The low point was when Ii cast the tip off Vicky's rod. As there was no hook on, I had to wet-wade up past my knees in very cold water to gallantly retrieve the section. By late afternoon I was freezing.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Teither

Malcolm, Alan, Alex

My pleezhur surs, and thanks for your kind comments. Shooting head lines still need to be cast and managed , Alex. They don't put themselves out .. and it's easy to get them wrong ! So  I rather fancy that good skills and long experience are well connected and you two guys have plenty of both. I think that's the real reason why you both moved in a few casts from feeling uncomfortable to putting good line out handsomely !
      And, Alan, I think you are spot on re Iain Kirk. He has been splendidly generous to all [ especially the big rod guys ] with his advice and his time since first coming down last summer. I certainly owe him a lot for the help he has given me, which built and reinforced the same basic principles that Alberto and Gary Scott both impressed on me the first night I ever brought a rod along to Knightswood. I couldnae cast for toffee at that time. If there has been some improvement over time that has been down, I think, to the help from these three guys and practising the lessons given and sometimes even learned. Iain has his APGAI practical exam this Friday, so let's wish him well in that.

Teither

haresear

Quotesaw some good casting today, teither especially, i think Ian should get some credit for the double hander progress, the big rods never gets a mention on here.

Alan, why is it that you can say these things so succinctly on here and take two hours to say the same thing in the flesh? :) More seriously, I agree with what you say about Ian and the DH guys generally. They deserve our thanks.

Today, Ian shouted over a real novice with the single hand rod to have a go with the DH. Now Ian is a ghillie for Dunkeld House on the Tay. He probably spends half his time showing people who can't cast how to cast and the other half harling devons and kynochs. Despite that, he drives a long way to teach for free and to practice casting. I take my hat off to the guy.

John the lawyer spends the morning getting people out of jail (literally) and the late morning casting and helping.

Teither is usually first there. He knows I'm out of my comfort zone with a DH rod, so he cajoles me into expanding into that area.

Sometimes I think the whole thing is a waste of time, but then I see Adam double hauling, when he couldn't before. Scott going from novice to instructor in about 9 months :shock: (bastard).

Teither's comment sums it up beautifully...

Quotewith his advice and his time since first coming down last summer. I certainly owe him a lot for the help he has given me, which built and reinforced the same basic principles that Alberto and Gary Scott both impressed on me the first night I ever brought a rod along to Knightswood. I couldnae cast for toffee at that time. If there has been some improvement over time that has been down, I think, to the help from these three guys and practising the lessons given and sometimes even learned. Iain has his APGAI practical exam this Friday, so let's wish him well in that.

For all you guys who have not been to the GCC, the club affair is certainly not slick. It can't be, because we don't know who is turning up each week. It is clunky and slow and unstructured, but I reckon every week I come away with a wee bit more knowledge or at least something to think about.

Alex

Protect the edge.

scotty9

Alex, Jim, Alan - I agree totally with the credit to others. In fact really everyone needs credit as if there wasn't "everyone" there wouldn't be anything! For beginners - they got tuition. For me - I got everything :D But on that theme as well, instructors got the pupils to present problems and help increase instructors knowledge by having to work through it, sometimes in groups!

Take me when I turned up for example, I had a real, sorry..... REAL casting problem. The perfect tailing loop and hope the guys don't mind me saying but all of the instructors at the time could not fix it. It wasn't till Andrew Toft came along that he and the others eventually managed to get it sorted. So I bet through that kind of thing it helped everyone concerned.

And Alex's last paragraph is definitely bang on!

scotty9

Are the perthshire nuts still coming this week?

The demonstration shall be on casting in winds. You'll understand why if you check the forecast, at least it's to be sunny!  :lol:

Oops made a mistake, sunny in coatbridge, glasgow has to have a rain shower or two. Light showers apparently.

scotty9

No worries, someone will be on cakes....(ALAN! :D)

Would be good to meet you and the others if you do make it.

What time are we meeting considering the clocks are jumping forward? Just the normal time?

Go To Front Page