News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haresear

Quote from: Squigster on May 07, 2010, 09:00:31 PM
Just thought i'd come on and say that I really enjoyed myself at the club last night. I learned more in a couple of hours than I had trying to teach myself for the last two years!!!!!
Cheers Lads
Stephen

Hi Stephen. I'm glad you got something out of it. I enjoyed it too :D

Have a look at Alan's post http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13362.msg138414#msg138414
That should make sense to you now after last night. Would you have understood what Alan is getting at if we hadn't had that wee casting session last night?

Alex
Protect the edge.

Squigster

Quote from: haresear on May 07, 2010, 09:45:58 PM
Hi Stephen. I'm glad you got something out of it. I enjoyed it too :D

Have a look at Alan's post http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=13362.msg138414#msg138414
That should make sense to you now after last night. Would you have understood what Alan is getting at if we hadn't had that wee casting session last night?

Alex
I have to say Alans post is top notch!!! The only bit I didn't fully understand was the bit on wrist rotation.
Speaking as a novice, (and because me viewpoint has been invited), I'll chuck my tuppence worth in.
I prefer not to learn by rote, I'd far rather have time spent explaining to me the concept of what i'm trying to achieve before actually casting a line. I feel if I understand what I?m supposed to be doing then it becomes easier for me to understand where I am going wrong and how to correct it.  Especially useful when I don?t have a kindly instructor standing beside me to correct my actions, because if I have learned by rote then its easy to drift away from what I?ve learned whilst practising  myself away from club.
Alans post is excellent as it explains in detail an exercise that will improve my casting if I carry out. I can also refer to it at a later point to make sure that I?m sticking to what I?m supposed to be practising
Cheers
Stephen

scotty9

Stephen if that's the case speak to me next week, give me an hour an I'll have your ears bleeding  :lol: ..............only kidding!

I'm exactly the same as yourself, from the first proper instruction I had I knew I had to understand the whole environment of fly casting and that's what I tried to do. It's not good enough for me to know that if you do that - X happens. I need to know why and my learning curve becomes very quick and I'll do it before you can blink an eye. If I don't know why, i'll progress slower.

One of the hardest things with teaching people with a fly rod is getting them to listen, not because they don't want to, not because the instructor is bad but because EVERYONE and I meant everyone, with a fly rod in their hand they will fidget. Myself included, with a rod in hand try speaking to someone without casting or waving it etc. With the last couple guys I've taught I've stopped them casting for a wee bit and explained what we're going to do, why we're going to do it and then finally try it. Received a positive response or at least that's what they told me  :lol:

Teither

There's two switched-on guys stating their preferred learning style !

J

Squigster

Hi Alan
In my simple terms, the arm casts through the arc with the wrist rotation at either end to dramatically increase the loading on the rod and thus generate the real power of the cast? As Scott mentioned the rotation is actually "only enough to take the tip from being behind the butt to infront of the butt". And thus the wrist action is actually a very small (but hugely important) movement, within the whole arm movement of the cast.
Stephen

scotty9

Quote from: Squigster on May 09, 2010, 04:11:14 PM
Hi Alan
In my simple terms, the arm casts through the arc with the wrist rotation at either end to dramatically increase the loading on the rod and thus generate the real power of the cast? As Scott mentioned the rotation is actually "only enough to take the tip from being behind the butt to infront of the butt". And thus the wrist action is actually a very small (but hugely important) movement, within the whole arm movement of the cast.
Stephen

You've nailed it, that's all there is too it. The most important part is actually what comes before that rotation, if you can get a smooth, purely forward (or backward!) movement in there before the rotation your cast will be as good as perfect! Lead before speed as Andrew says. If you read around sexyloops at all, you'll hear the phrase "late rotation" or "delayed rotation" what you have just explained is exactly that.

gasman

Alan
What has happened to you ?
Have you stopped talking GEEK .
Your post is good .
Stephen, your explanation was simpler Laughing
Now you to are learning, aboot time. :tongue2

scottish-loch-lad

when is this starting again, or is it already running?

scotty9

Quote from: Chris Provan on May 10, 2010, 01:31:14 PM
when is this starting again, or is it already running?

It never stopped.

scottish-loch-lad

thanks for the information there Scotty.

Go To Front Page