News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Ask the guys on thursday, you'll get more of them in person I think.

One of the issues has been the recent influx of people, how many new comers/beginners were there last week?  :shock:

The problem with demos is they have to be made up  :lol:

haresear

Quote from: scotty9 on June 01, 2010, 01:15:47 AM
Ask the guys on thursday, you'll get more of them in person I think.

One of the issues has been the recent influx of people, how many new comers/beginners were there last week?  :shock:

The problem with demos is they have to be made up  :lol:

Aye, it is difficult to deal with newcomers, as we (or at least I do) feel they need immediate attention. Alberto was asking the same question as Alan about the way forward and I said go with the flow, but in retrospect I'm not sure if that is correct. Maybe we need more structure. Time for Scotty, Alan, Alberto and I to get together I think.

Having said that, Davy (Bravo75) Gasman, Aweman and Adam are all looking pretty damn good these days with double hauling and everyone else is coming along too, so we must be doing something right :D

Alex
Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Yes, you guys are doing an impressive job. It's a great shame there appears  to be  nothing to match your  skills, enthusiasm and selflessness up in this neck of the woods

scotty9

Quote from: admin on June 01, 2010, 10:11:42 AM
Yes, you guys are doing an impressive job. It's a great shame there appears  to be  nothing to match your  skills, enthusiasm and selflessness up in this neck of the woods

If anyone would like to donate a coach and groupies, we'll do a tour  :lol: :8)

Alan - sounds like a good idea. Likely generate good progress from that, otherwise you need to rely on people coming and saying what they want. The obvious danger is stretching yourself too thin. If man X wants to learn the double haul and you do this, this and this and then work on the next stage next week and eventually end up with a man with a fantastic cast...... unfortunately man Y has been left in confusion why he can't do it, is not getting the help he needs and wonders why he bothered turning up in the first place.  :( I think it's a balance between your kind of 10 mins here and there and me and Alex spending all night with someone like last week?

Malcolm

Take it one step at a time?

I have been on club days in winter twice with top class instructors - Donald Downs and James Tomlinson. One instructor to more than 20 people yet on both occasions everyone learned something.

Donald was a superb instructor and motivator and after introdutions, a talk and a short demonstration he set out a "basics corner" that was where he spent the majority of his time.

With the best casters he asked them what they wanted to learn, showed them how then once the basics were established as he put it "let the arm catch up with the brain". Not that he then ignored everyone but beginners but he knew that there was a time where the coordination process had to become automatic.

I'm not saying that this is the way to go but a beginners corner is certainly a start with just one instructor assigned to it each week.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Quote from: Malcolm on June 01, 2010, 10:50:51 AM
I'm not saying that this is the way to go but a beginners corner is certainly a start with just one instructor assigned to it each week.

Was this not how the Glasgow Casting Club [ for single-handed rod wild trout fishers ?  :) ] started out ?
Alex is quite right - if more folk are coming along and those who have been regular attenders [ and practisers ] are showing great improvement we can surely deduce that good things are being done.
And Scott is right too - if you want to know what people want, if anything, different from and/or in addition to what is available now , just ask them !

J

Wildfisher

Many organizations would give their right arms to have the problem you guys suffer from.

Too much interest and participation!

:D

Fishtales

Three, or four, 'classes'.

Beginner - for those that are new or can't quite grasp the process.

Intermediate - for those who are sure of what to do and want to learn more.

Advanced - for the casters who want to learn it all.

Professional - for those who would like to go for the casting exam.

Rotate the instructors around each class so that a) they don't get bogged down doing the same thing every week and b) the students learn the technique from a different instructor which might make it easier to understand. Not every student will take to every instructor and this takes the personality clash out of the equation.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

scotty9

Some great ideas there... very well thought out.

Jim - are you coming this week? I've been practising with the double hander  :8)

Teither

Scott,

Yes, I hope to be along  ...  just give me a minute or two to come round now from my wee faint - Alan agrees that the learners should say ....  !! [ Or is he, by any chance, at the tug  ?? ]
          The back has been really sore this last couple of weeks but a lot easier now. I've a skip to fill tomorrow [ with unwanted garden soil and other stuff ] so if that goes OK I look forward to Thursday. Why do I have an awfy feeling that you're going to be showing off some magical double-hander stuff ??  :lol: :lol:

J

Go To Front Page