News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Casting club in 15 mins...... I think I might be late tonight  :lol:

Squigster

I'd be up for it next week, for a few reasons:

Benchmarking - By filming how "average" my cast is just now, hopefully when I look back in a few months i'll be suitably encouraged to keep practising my casting as it should be obvious that my efforts, (and the skills of the instructors) are being rewarded by a quantified improvement in my casting.

Back Cast - I have no idea how good/bad/indifferent my backcast is. At the moment i'm trying to learn to feel the backcast, as opposed to just relying on timing - But as I haven't mastered the art, then I can't judge if it's really working for me.

Comedy - It should give people a wee chuckle

Stephen

scotty9

There's a strong chance I won't be there either and a possibility I won't be able to get back before I go to NZ  :shock:

scotty9

:shock: Sorry  :lol: I might be able to get along next week for an hour or two, definitely won't be able to stay all night.

scotty9

haresear

QuoteRe the video casting stuff; any chance of showing deliberately crappy casts and a fix?

A suggestion would be showing a tailing loop (aye, multiple reasons I know) from long distance, i.e. tailing loop visible in the film.  With the next clip, a close up of the rod and the casting action causing the problem.  You might need two cameras filming simultaneously for this, I wonder if that's a possibility Laughing Laughing.

My wee Echo Micro Practice Rod might be useful for showing this, as the "line" is very visible and the rod, being short can be shown quite close up. A single shot would do, with some commentary. Alan, what do you think?

Alex

Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've been trying out Jim's (Teither) camera and it seems that it would be ideal. It doesn't have a firewire connector in the kit so I haven't downloaded to my PC but from what I can see it is first class.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Ardbeg - what would you like to see? I'll see if I can rattle something off for you.... Give me some sort of idea and I'll do my best  :)

Teither

Quote from: buzz on June 22, 2010, 11:50:56 AM
At the risk of making this a casting debate i find some rods (the softer ones) are easier to make tailing loops than faster rods, is it all down to the power application (too much)on the forward stroke?

Buzz,
        I think this an example of how some filmed action could really be helpful. I'd suggest you beware of only verbal explanations. Alan once tried to explain to me [ at length ] how tailing loops were caused. I immediately became even more expert at tailing loops - I mean at making them !!  :)
        Fortunately, Haresear was able the next week to explain again [ concisely ] the hows and whys AND to demonstrate how to avoid making them !! :lol:
Teither       

scotty9

Quote from: buzz on June 22, 2010, 11:50:56 AM
At the risk of making this a casting debate i find some rods (the softer ones) are easier to make tailing loops than faster rods, is it all down to the power application (too much)on the forward stroke?

Mark - you're not allowed to ask casting questions  :shock:

But yes you are spot on! Tailing loop means the tip dipped below that magical straight line path you hear all the time, just think of it as the tip buckling with an extra bend. A softer rod buckles easier and hence they are easier to cast a tail. That's the main reason I like a stiffer rod, you don't have to concentrate as much!  :)

All you need to do is make the forward stroke both longer and less abrupt, smooth it out and power for longer in comparison to the stiffer rod.

Go To Front Page