News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on June 22, 2010, 05:33:50 PM

Peter Anderson once said he had never yet seen a rod that could produce a shyte cast all by itself :lol:

Scott Loudon once said that he had seen plenty of rods that can prevent you easily making a good cast  :lol:

(Not wishing to discredit Peter, he is of course correct!)

Malcolm

Quote from: scotty9 on June 22, 2010, 07:41:46 PM
Scott Loudon once said that he had seen plenty of rods that can prevent you easily making a good cast  :lol:

(Not wishing to discredit Peter, he is of course correct!)

Orvis Hydros, Sage TCR, Sage TCX, Hardy Angel....to name but a few  :)
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Wildfisher

Looks like it's the Sage men vs.  the Orvis girls then.

Teither

Quote from: Alan on June 22, 2010, 01:39:53 PM

did it work? i find the only sure way to banish tailing loops forever is to understand what the causes them, a habitual tendancy to apply power to early, too suddenly or too much is not going to go away with practice alone, the brain needs to be in control.
compare the speed of learning something new to practicing trying to stop something you been doing for a long time.

Alan,

It did ... for a wee while. You're right, though. It is conscientious and conscious practice that does it.

Today I spent the afternoon with Malcolm and his son, Dan, who had very kindly set up the camcorder for me, before patiently taking me through the basics of its operation. I must say as a technophobe that these basics were quite a bit more straightforward than I'd thought. As a bonus, Malcolm then showed why the instruction manual had seemed all double-Dutch to me. It was written in Dutch, albeit of the single variety !  :D However , there is in the pack, he explained, also an English language version, so look out soon for Candid Camera Knightswood - style !

After the " lesson " Malcolm took me for a walk along the fine bit of river he fishes, and what an eye-opener that was - bonnie countryside, a lovely river, albeit at all-time low, Malcolm told me. One great benefit of that for me was that I could begin to recognise why the good salmon lies were just that, something not so obvious, to me at any rate, in normal river conditions.

The real bonus of the walk, though, was seeing and hearing this countryman pointing out all the bird and insect life I'd never have known about .. and identifying them all too. It was truly an eye-opener for me. I think that Malcolm took a number of pictures and intends to add them on to this note, or as a follow-up, I expect.

I  had my first try with the camcorder and looked at the playback a wee while ago  - oh dear !!  :( :( Still, I now know there's no pictorial advantage in pointing the camera at the path in front, or at my companion's heels, adorable as these might be !  But practise I will, so beware, Zoomer. Any further bouts of pondside nose-picking may well be broadcast to an ungrateful nation !  :D :D

Finally, my grateful thanks to Malcolm and his family for their kind help and hospitality. It was a super and very revelationary afternoon for me.

Teither

Malcolm

You're welcome Jim, stopped the domestic grafting for a while.

To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: admin on June 22, 2010, 08:41:42 PM
Looks like it's the Sage men vs.  the Orvis girls then.

Depends which Orvis girl you have, ms Helios is a true girl, ms hydros is like a female rugby player, disguised as a girl but really a man! (That's actually not entirely true, having trained with the Scottish woman's team, there is one hotty!  :lol: )

gasman

if you dont see me at the cc im the one with the disguise

emc

An amazing discovery, a specimen  of the pushmi-pullyu   dog thought to have become  extinct in Jolliginki many years ago  :roll: :roll:

Malcolm

Another interesting night last night with  two new visitors and another potential member who was just passing.

Alan continues developing his 5 weight sermon " ....and the lord looked upon Alan and saw that he was alone so while he slept he took a rib and formed him a 5 weight and the lord saw it was good... " 

Jim continues to try and make me a classic spey caster. God bless 'im but I'm beyond redemption. Alan tries to help me casting his Orvis helios but the line still behaves like a python with it's tail caught in hot fire tongs. Business as usual.
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page