News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 25, 2010, 01:36:58 PM
i think we could all benefit from putting casting into context

Do you mean casting as a means to an end or as an end in itself?

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on October 25, 2010, 02:32:00 PM
Do you mean casting as a means to an end or as an end in itself?

It can be both.
A shitty cast to a rising fish results in bad words being spoken and a determination to practice/learn.
A perfect cast, landing as and where you planned, brightens a blank day
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I think some of it is an end in itself. While I am not at all interested in single handed competition casting, I see double handed casting as almost completely separate from fishing. I seldom use the big stick and when I do I don't need to cast more than about 100 feet or so.

However I thoroughly enjoy the hitting a spey cast a long way with outlandishly heavy rods and lines. These are far too powerful to use for normal fishing (I suspect the true rating of these bits of kit is something like AFTM 20, certainly they are way off the normal AFTM scale).
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Absolutely correct, Malcolm ! While we all try to develop casting skills to improve our fishing prospects, casting for its own sake is indeed very pleasurable for some of us. I can see no case at all for anyone being precious about the matter, either way.
For the love of the wee man, let's just enjoy the fact that facilities like GCC have allowed and continue to allow many people to enjoy themselves in a particular way that pleases them.
As this particular thread of debate has gone on for a long time now I mean to make this my last contribution on this aspect of the subject. For anyone interested enough [ and small blame to anyone, especially those not members of GCC, who are not interested ] I leave only this question for folk to consider    ..... 
Is the casting club to be considered a success in that it has indeed provided an excellent facility for people to enjoy in pursuing their interest, to the detriment of no-one, and with almost everyone having made good progress from their starting point ... or is it be considered in some way a failure because only one person has sought to advance his skills to the level of official recognition ?
To Alberto, who started it all off, here's a "Thank you" from one member. I believe I speak for the great many in saying that.

Teither

Wildfisher

Has Alberto bowed out of the club now?

Teither

Quote from: admin on October 26, 2010, 08:40:38 PM
Has Alberto bowed out of the club now?

No. He is still the mainstay.

Teither

scotty9

I'd definitely consider it a success Jim, I think it would be hard to see it any other way. It did exactly what it was meant to and arguably was a lot moe popular than initially thought. Long may it continue!

I think all you need to aid the club in going forward is the same setup for those that want it, a welcoming environment for new folk (just keep that up) and some new tricks and events for those that want that aspect. If people want to do distance stuff, why not? If people want to cast around things, why not? If people want to perfect all aspects of their cast, why not? etc etc. Just put the facilities or the option there and let people make the decision.

Everyones at the pond - everyone does there own thing.

Alex goes curve casting, anyone who wants to learn it, go and ask him and cast with him.

Alan goes radiator casting, " " ...... etc

Andrew does spey work, ......

Easy system.

haresear

On the whole the club has much to commend it.

I can't think of anyone who has not learned something or improved in some way, myself included. There have been individual milestones passed in terms of distances cast and new techniques, notably double hauling, learned by a fair number of people.

So yes, I think it has been a success and I thank Alberto too for getting it off the ground.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on October 27, 2010, 10:01:33 AM
i cant see why any members advancing to official recognition could be seen as a failure, i'm sure many would see this as a success,

An impressive personal success for sure. It's good to see those who have achieved a "recognized"  standard  (whoever it is recognized by is irrelevant)  are willing to give their time freely and share their knowledge as are others like Malcolm  with decades of experience and an impressive track record that is recognized by his peers if not by some self ordained angling / casting organization.

Teither

Quote from: Alan on October 27, 2010, 10:01:33 AM
i cant see why any members advancing to official recognition could be seen as a failure

OK. I'll rise for what is definitely the last time. The statement quoted above is clear enough evidence, if more were needed than has already been demonstrated, that an inability to write in a clear, literate and intelligent manner is very often linked to an inability to read according to those standards.
Or is it simply all down to juvenility ?

Weary Teither

Go To Front Page