News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

It's just another example  of how  sensibly the Glasgow Casting Club is run, moving to a weekday evening when real anglers actually want to spend their free weekend time fishing.  There's nothing remotely like it up this way.

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 25, 2011, 11:15:59 AM
which makes it rather cool that Scott is so good at it :D

Don't get him started, Alex and myself have to go fishing with him in NZ in a week or two.  :lol:

Malcolm

Here's a warning - distance casting is maybe an adjunct to the real purpose of the club but it is seriously addictive.

I was using a Sage TCR yesterday which is owned by a guy from the village. We've been out practising a couple of times a week for the past month with various rods and despite initial misgivings and refusal to use "the beast", after about an hour of using it yesterday the rod started to make sense in a perverse way.

It's a horrible rod but get it right and it flies.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: Malcolm on January 25, 2011, 11:57:51 AM
Here's a warning - distance casting is maybe an adjunct to the real purpose of the club but it is seriously addictive.

Too right!  :lol: It really is....

Looking forward to when I'm home for the club banter! Alan we'll have some endless hours of casty talk to catch up on!  :lol:

Fred - don't worry about it, I'll just fish left handed  :makefun Only kidding!

Teither

Quote from: Alan on January 28, 2011, 03:37:15 PM
this is one for everyone that suffers from hauling too early or the dreaded tailing loop, thats everyone i reckon.

discussed this with Thomas, the hungarian distance dude at the casting club and its a clever tip,

Jason Borger the high priest of casting, says to get the haul times correctly to say aloud 'stop' when you stop, when your ready replace the word 'stop' with 'haul', this is a nice bit of self tuition but Thomas has a twist on this that guarantees loop perfection,

when your ready, simply replace 'stop' with 'stop..haul' takes some diciplined practice but it is a good cure for poxed loop syndrome.
Alan,
           Is this meant to apply to the forward cast only ?
J

haresear

QuoteThomas has a twist on this that guarantees loop perfection,

when your ready, simply replace 'stop' with 'stop..haul' takes some diciplined practice but it is a good cure for poxed loop syndrome.
I missed Tomas speaking about this, but i remember you mentioning this technique last week Alan. I'm not sure my brain can get my body to do this, but I'll give it a go.

Hopefully I will cast better than last week, when I "had a poor game". I'm saving myself for the Oreti river, NZ :D

Incidentally folks, Tomas the aforementioned Hungarian casting master is looking for like-minded people to practice casting with in Embra, where he lives (Leith Walk). He isn't really into forming a casting club as such, just a bit of practice.

Yer man is a real quality distance caster, so if you fancy hooking up with him, drop me a PM and I'll pass your details to Tomas, who is a really nice guy and one who really knows his onions as far as distance casting is concerned.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

I've been out this week with the Hardy Gem having moved on from the 3 weight distance casting I have been doing up until now and also have on long term loan - wait for it - a Sage TCR and Barrio 140. Oh dear, I'm feeling I've sworn in front of a nun. I better repent

Ave Zoomer, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.
Benedicta tu in mulieribus...
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Malcolm on January 25, 2011, 11:57:51 AM

Quote from: Malcolm on January 29, 2011, 12:29:16 AM
I've been out this week with the Hardy Gem having moved on from the 3 weight distance casting I have been doing up until now and also have on long term loan - wait for it - a Sage TCR and   140.
Oh dear, I'm feeling I've sworn in front of a nun. I better repent

Err, emmmm, hands up guv, it's a fair cop ...  :oops:
Ordered the Orange 140, got to level the playing field with Tomas  :D, and had a go at this lark for a bit yesterday too.

You might see another slightly bemused, but very keen, beginner tomorrow Alan.
The give away will be if he turns up with a Weimaraner that likes to chase orange yarn ...

Regarding the haul.
Tomas mentioned earlier in the day, that you cannot haul too late.

Andrew Moray

Quote from: Alan on January 29, 2011, 12:15:52 AM
anyone hooking up with Thomas is going to learn some serious stuff on hauling
Yes, and 90 degree curve casts ... bugger !
To see, at last, what "delayed rotation" actually is will make any effort to meet up with Tomas well worth it.

scotty9

Sounds like it's really taking off at the club!

The stop/haul thing is the way I've taught people to haul, think it's a really good method. Alex - of course you can do this, it's a piece of piss!

My Update on the FFF Conclave:

I decided not to practice for the distance comp (great decision of course!  :roll:), I cast 86' into a bloody hurricane, the roughest looking casting you've ever seen. First place was 98' so a bit off the pace. The setup was the new Sage VXP with a MED line, it was quite nice, powerful rod but absolutely nothing like the old XP in terms of feel, totally different rod. I need to get my arse out practising, tracking is the single biggest thing in distance casting IMO and mine sucks right now  :( :lol:

I placed first in the qualifying round of the danish casting games but slumped to 3rd in the final for what was quite frankly stupid misses! I managed to score myself a new fly line though! Along with that I won a prize in the raffle which got my loads of tippet, leaders, stus fly shop voucher, a very impressive headlamp and some fly tying materials.

It was a great event, I'd encourage everyone to go if you ever get the chance. Met a lot of cool people, some fishing arrangements made for the future etc.

Go To Front Page