News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otter Spotter

Quote from: Alan on February 23, 2011, 11:40:36 PM
anyone know where to get some fladen vantage's 9' #4?
Have you tired Cash convertors (or is it generator??) the pawn type shop with tthe yellow and blue livery. They have fladden rods, or at least the one in Dundee does. If you want me to check for you let me know and I'll pop in tomorrow lunchtime. In Glasgow there is one just up from the odeon and one just accross from central station in amongst the fast food places (sorry can rememmber the street names)
I used to be a surrealist but now I'm just fish.

Squigster

Has the club moved to a Thursday yet?  I fancy a wee wander along as the Milngavie Fly Dressers has just wrapped up for the season.
Cheers
Stephen

Squigster

Quote from: Alan on April 16, 2011, 09:23:57 PM
there is a strange vagueness surrounding this years switch, technically its switched when the fly tying club ends i think..or the first full moon of the month or something.

Cheers Alan. i'll wander along and see if there is anyone there!!

Malcolm

Squigster,

I believe it will be after the end of the month so the first will be on the 5th May. I know it's on tomorrow morning and that will be my last visit on a Sunday morning - fishing takes over. I'll ask around tomorrow.

malcolm
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Squigster

Quote from: Malcolm on April 16, 2011, 10:17:45 PM
Squigster,

I believe it will be after the end of the month so the first will be on the 5th May. I know it's on tomorrow morning and that will be my last visit on a Sunday morning - fishing takes over. I'll ask around tomorrow.

malcolm
Cheers Malcolm

Malcolm

Alberto wasn't there today Squigster and this was my last Sunday morning. The feeling is that the Tursday evening sessions will have started by 5th May.

Tried out another of Teither's lovely set ups today - a light salmon rod 12.5ft 7/8 - these would be terrific salmon and seatrout Loch style rods for places like Loch Lomond.
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Alan on April 17, 2011, 06:55:25 PM
pretty quiet today, trouters appear to be atrouting.

im thinking of a quieter spot, maybe with running water, do some in situ problem solving stuff, there is a fairly big jump between casting in near perfect conditions or on grass, to dealing with banks behind etc?

Alan we have a cracking bit on our Water small but perfect for speys etc. You should try get a bit there must be somewhere near by.
I have stopped it all together on Grass except for ariel mends around cones and accuracy.

Brian

Teither

Quote from: Alan on April 17, 2011, 07:32:49 PM
i reckon that was just a really nice double hander, guideline lpxe is seriously under rated, what did captain kirk say?

Alan,
          Kirkie thought the same as you and Malcolm. It was the first double-hander I bought and I bought it for stockie-fishing [ it was all I knew then !  :) after I developed painful tendons trying to learn to cast a 9.5' 7wt single-hander, also LPXe. I used it twice, I think, and then switched right off stockie-fishing and got into salmon fishing with bigger rods. And even though the rod you lads had a go with today is a nice piece I still prefer handling a bigger and heavier rod, because, for me at any rate, the big rod is easier and more comfortable to work ! Mind you, if I could get a 12.5' 4/5 wt rod for trout fishing that might suit me just dandy ! Are such rods made/available anywhere ?
T

scotty9

Quote from: Teither on April 18, 2011, 12:37:12 AM
Alan,
          Kirkie thought the same as you and Malcolm. It was the first double-hander I bought and I bought it for stockie-fishing [ it was all I knew then !  :) after I developed painful tendons trying to learn to cast a 9.5' 7wt single-hander, also LPXe. I used it twice, I think, and then switched right off stockie-fishing and got into salmon fishing with bigger rods. And even though the rod you lads had a go with today is a nice piece I still prefer handling a bigger and heavier rod, because, for me at any rate, the big rod is easier and more comfortable to work ! Mind you, if I could get a 12.5' 4/5 wt rod for trout fishing that might suit me just dandy ! Are such rods made/available anywhere ?
T

I think Malcolm has a 4 or 5 weight, maybe a 6 actually. I remember he offered it to me when I hurt my hand.

Alan - that was a pretty good practise session that one, remember trying to get that drag free drift under that tree on the far bank from a spey cast? That was a VERY good exercise!

Malcolm

Jim

Bob Meiser does a 3/4/5/ weight 12.5 ft. It's probably best to get the blank at $225 and get a UK builder to make it up to your spec. It's over $600 for the built up rod. Meiser rods are highly regarded.

http://www.meiserflyrods.com/rodblanks.php
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page