News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teither

Malcolm
Alan
        Thanks for responses re long rods. I know of Bob Meiser's fine reputation, Malcolm, but I couldn't be doing with the hassle of trading by internet in foreign currency. In addition, Malcolm, he wants to ask lots of no doubt very pertinent questions re rod/line etc specifications but I haven't a clue what all the techno stuff means. So I couldn't begin to make intelligent answers.
        So Alan, and anyone else who might know, can you point me to any British makers/suppliers of good double-handed trout rods, around the 4/5 wt area ?
Thanks again,

T

Andrew Moray

Hello Teither/Jim,

Zpey Lean Green 10' #4, comes with the swanky handle, which you can remove to make it useful  :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9eJce5JXc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0dqsyA9Tow&feature=related

I had one at the pond for a few hours one Sunday, p72 reply 716 on this thread.
Be happy to let you try it if you wanted to.

Tony

Teither

Tony,
        Very kind of you, Tony. I've got a 10' rod - Streamflex - and I can work with it fine. I just liked the idea of having something a bit over the 12' mark, to complement my natural tendencies to laziness - where I could just wade in a few feet, or not at all, ideally, and let the line just fall off the rod tip !  :lol:
        If you are back at the pond at some time it would be good to have a go with your rod. I have tried the bigger salmon version and, sadly, I didn't like it at all. The lighter weight version might indeed be just the ticket. So I look forward to seeing you again one of these Sundays, or Thursdays now, I suppose.
        Incidentally, with the working light now extending beyond 8.30, and in the absence of specific mandate from Alberto on the subject  :D Thursday sessions start from this week  !! At least they do for me !  :lol:
T

Andrew Moray

Hello Jim,

What time do you plan to be there ?.
PM sent.

Tony

Teither

Tony,
        I've been offline all day and just picked up your message. Sorry. I've just sent a reply.
J

gasman

I also went along tonight but there was no one there.
I hope to see you all next Thusday at 7.30pm.

All the best,
Gary

gasman

I was speaking to Alberto today, the casting club will be starting at 6.30pm Thursday  at
Knightswood Pond.

All the best ,
Gary  :)

Teither

And start it did indeed, on a cold and blustery night. We are still seduced by warm afternoons into forgetting that April evenings are just that. They are not balmy June evenings and nights. The chilly wind made using the pond a less than charming experience, our disappointment only increased by the unwelcome attentions of three men and a dug [ I'll leave you to guess which breed of dug !! ], not to mention a guitar, raucous singing, a very large naked beer belly and several containers of alcohol in the process of being consumed.
Nevertheless there was time at the start to try out Andrew Moray's 10' 4 wt Zpey, an abomination of a rod if ever there was one, but also his David Norwich 9 for a 5, that a beautiful creation if ever there was one. Many thanks, Tony, for your kindness in bringing these rods along, especially after your day spent on the Upper Clyde. And he did at least discover  that casting a double-hander is an easy-peasy exercise ! :) :) Malcolm knew that too, though he only uses one hand to do it !  :lol:
We repaired to the grass, double-handers included, where, needless to relate, an attempt by Alberto to get some semblance of a summer programme agreed came to nothing. Alan and Alberto agreed to disagree - about everything and on principle, I think. But the Zoomer, to his eternal credit, managed  to get me hauling a 5wt 9 footer - a most joyous experience !  :lol: Thank you, sir.
Hopefully next week we'll get a return to more settled conditions and a bigger turnoot. Mind you, if a duller evening were to discourage our band of under-the-weather troubadours, that might be no bad thing.

T

Teither

Quote from: Alan on April 29, 2011, 12:31:58 PM
why is it that it takes 5 mins to teach someone to haul but only after a year of convincing them to listen :lol:

Aye, well you now, hopefully, understand the benefit of speaking English, for the first time !  :lol: :lol: :lol: Keep up the good work !

GT

Teither

Alan,
        I think that analysis is spot on. Seeing someone show me how, and getting answers/ explanations to my pertinent [to me ] questions is, and always has been, the way I learn anything best. It was the same with painting. No book, no verbiage could do it for me. The first time I saw a good painter mix his colours and use a brush I got it. The same thing , more or less, happened last night. We are agreed ! Oh frabjous day !  :) :)
GOT

Go To Front Page