News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

Allan
If the weather is like this on Thursday night, I will have my feet up in front of the fire with a cup of
coffee and slice of cake.  :D

All the best,
Gary

Teither

Quote from: Alan on May 23, 2011, 04:54:43 PM
anyone for a 'wind' theme casting club extravaganza? been thinking about this, wind appears to be a difficulty for some, so...a dedicated casting in wind thing may be useful.

Aye, within reason, Alan. I bypassed the pond yesterday - I'm assuming everyone did - but I went to GAC in the afternoon to try the ZXL 4 wt.. Casting directly against the wind the line, quite literally, flew back to me at one point so the tryout was very
brief, and useless. I'll have another go when some calm has returned to the elements. But managing casts in windy conditions is, I believe, an essential skill so your proposal is something we all should be signing up to.

WOT

Andrew Moray

Hello Alan,

Quote from: Alan on May 24, 2011, 09:31:26 AMthe only way i could stop the leader blowing back was to land the fly before the line and leader.
Italian stylee ?  :wink:

Hello Jim,
Quote from: Teither on May 24, 2011, 12:30:37 AMI went to GAC in the afternoon to try the ZXL 4 wt.
Nah, give David Norwich a call  :D

Tony

Wildfisher

Quote from: Andrew Moray on May 24, 2011, 10:29:28 AM
give David Norwich a call  :D
I've cast a few of these rods and none came close to the Sage ZXL. I'd go for the Sage myself.  :D

Malcolm

I thought I was the only one daft enough to be out fishing yesterday and I gave up after a couple of hours - had a seatrout in that time though!

I started out with a powerful 8 weight setup fishing across and down as you do for salmon. The wind was blowing upstream at about 30mph by my estimation but was gusting to about 50mph. Very difficult. I was doing single hand spey casts and the fly would land land at least 30 feet away from where it was aimed. If a strong gust hit my D loop the line would whip off the water and land directly upstream.

I gave up after 30  minutes and moved onto the heavy double handed setup with an 11 weight sinking line. This was much better but still unpleasant to say the least and it was always a guess as to where the fly would land. I gave up - even with the big rod - after fishing down the run once.

So for me at least I'll always cast with the wind if it is more than a breeze. Even a moderate force 4 makes accurate fishing very difficult. I prefer to make the wind my friend rather than try to fight it.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Admin,
         I've only had a brief throw with the 5wt ZXL and it seemed an excellent bit of equipment. I know that Alex had a go with your 4 wt and also  liked it. Indeed , he recommended the 4 wt, sometimes to be used with a 5 wt line. So that's what I want to try out, even tho' casting along the side wall of GAC is hardly a comprehensive test. But I want to try the Hardy Sintrix in these sizes too. I think that, for me at any rate, they'll have to be good to beat the ZXL for feel !  :)

Tony,
        The problem for me is that I wouldn't know where/how to begin specifying to David Norwich what I was looking for. Could I just ask him to build me a ZXL ?   :lol:. Actually, if this kind of windy weather keeps up I might just go with the long pole used by the guy you know who fishes the Paisley Cart !!  :)

Alan,
       If you mean that you went to the pond on Sunday I think you can now assume the mantle of " Knightswood Nutter " !  :lol:

T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Teither on May 24, 2011, 05:35:35 PM
Admin,
         I've only had a brief throw with the 5wt ZXL and it seemed an excellent bit of equipment. I know that Alex had a go with your 4 wt and also  liked it. Indeed , he recommended the 4 wt, sometimes to be used with a 5 wt line. So that's what I want to try out, even tho' casting along the side wall of GAC is hardly a comprehensive test. But I want to try the Hardy Sintrix in these sizes too. I think that, for me at any rate, they'll have to be good to beat the ZXL for feel !  :)

Tony,
        The problem for me is that I wouldn't know where/how to begin specifying to David Norwich what I was looking for. Could I just ask him to build me a ZXL ?   :lol:. Actually, if this kind of windy weather keeps up I might just go with the long pole used by the guy you know who fishes the Paisley Cart !!  :)

Alan,
       If you mean that you went to the pond on Sunday I think you can now assume the mantle of " Knightswood Nutter " !  :lol:

T

It might be worth a visit to David Norwich though.  He badge engineers  rods for at least one very tiny supplier (there may be more),  but it makes no sense  paying more or even just going through a third party that might be here today and gone tomorrow when  the organ grinder himself is so close at hand and can provide a rod  to your spec. and offer a personal service. That's certainly what I'd do if I was considering a rod from a smaller scale builder like Norwich.   If going for an "off the shelf"  I'd go for a well known maker with all the guaranteed backup myself.

Malcolm

Jim,

Good luck with your rod hunt. No one can really help in the matter of rod selection sadly - you have to make up your own mind as they are very personal.

This is very important - test the rod hardest at the distance it will be used - on a river this will be with between 10 and 30ft of line beyond the tip ring. If it is on a loch you will certainly have to cast much further at times. I'm sure this isn't the case with you but very often people try to cast into the next county no matter what the rod is used for.

I'll be searching for a new rod myself. I've been practising almost daily for a casting competition. This morning I hit my longest ever cast with a 5 weight, 10 minutes later I was looking at a SAGE TCR 5 10 piece. The butt section exploded and the section above also broke. I've never experienced anything like it.

I bought the rod very cheaply second hand from a friend 6 weeks ago and I'd been using it before that. It was quite heavily bashed about as my friend used it with an 8 weight for seatrout fishing so it could be that the butt section had been damaged and as the rod is 8 years old that would seem the most likely explanation.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Quote from: Malcolm on May 25, 2011, 10:38:38 AM
Jim,

I'll be searching for a new rod myself. I've been practising almost daily for a casting competition. This morning I hit my longest ever cast with a 5 weight, 10 minutes later I was looking at a SAGE TCR 5 10 piece. The butt section exploded and the section above also broke. I've never experienced anything like it.

Malcolm,
              That's not good news. Mind you, I've told you before ... softly softly castee 3 inch Monkey !  :lol:
J

Andrew Moray

Hello Alan,

Quote from: Alan on May 24, 2011, 01:26:05 PM
precicely, having looked further into it, it appears i invented most of it.
It's your modesty that makes you such a great man  :wink:

Hello Jim,

Quote from: Teither on May 24, 2011, 05:35:35 PMThe problem for me is that I wouldn't know where/how to begin specifying to David Norwich what I was looking for. Could I just ask him to build me a ZXL ?
I'd imagine that's how it would work  :D
r.e. Sage ZXL, I've never fished with one, but same as Fred, the couple of guys I know that have one, think very highly of them.

QuoteActually, if this kind of windy weather keeps up I might just go with the long pole used by the guy you know who fishes the Paisley Cart !!  :)
Will find out his leader and fly setup and get back to you  :D

ATB
Tony

Go To Front Page