News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman

Casting into the wind on Thursday night was hard with a DT line.
After a coffee I changed reels and tried casting with WF Wildfisher River Don, a lot better.
Still have a couple of things to work on.
Thanks to Alex and Allan for the helpful tips.
Today I put these helpful tips to practise with a couple of fish.

All the best,
Gary :D

Teither

Had a go with the Hardy Syntrix 9 for 5 wt today, at GAC. Even into a very stiff breeze it went beautifully. Aweman was there and liked it too, I think. I'd say that even with little or no hauling it gave a bit more to the line speed than did the ZXL but possibly with not as much feel. What should a girl do ??  :)
T

haresear

QuoteWhat should a girl do ??

Buy shoes :)

Seriously Jim, both rods will be eminently capable of casting  at river distances.  All rods are the same in that respect, so it is really just a question of which you prefer.

Alex
Protect the edge.

haresear

Quote from: buster1980 on May 31, 2011, 11:15:19 PM
Jim have you tried looking for a second hand Sage XP.

Alan does the club own its own measuring tape, cones, hoops etc? I was hoping to do some accuracy stuff on Thursday.

Craig

Craig, I have a few hoops,cones, tape. The trouble is I'm heading down south on Thursday for a few days, so I won't be there this week. I'm a bit busy tomorrow night too, so I won't get a chance to drop them off to anyone.
Protect the edge.

gasman

I have some small hoops and a tape.
Alan its your turn for the cakes. :P

All the best,
Gary  :D

gasman

A good turn out tonight at the casting club,had a cast with a Hardy Syntrix 9 foot 5wt very light in the
hand but at £600 pounds  :shock:
Alan thanks for the tips on my back cast ,I still have lot of work to do.

All the best,
Gary  :D

Teither

Quote from: gasman on June 10, 2011, 12:54:32 AM
A good turn out tonight at the casting club,had a cast with a Hardy Syntrix 9 foot 5wt very light in the
hand but at £600 pounds  :shock:
All the best,
Gary  :D

Aye, indeed, Gary. Many thanks also to Brian McG for the tryout of numerous rods, including 4 and 5 wts in Syntrix and ZXL and for the helpful casting advice. However, I've decided that I'm now finally at the end of the road in my quest for the perfect rod - for all species and in all conditions. Three cheers for the DTX 15 ft 10/11 wt !!!  :lol:
T

scotty9

Quote from: Teither on June 10, 2011, 01:08:31 AM
Three cheers for the DTX 15 ft 10/11 wt !!!  :lol:

Brilliant Jim :lol:

So what's the overall verdict on the sintrix? I've been dying to try one even though I bought a TCX... (which is just brilliant btw!) Gary any more feedback? Anyone else too?

Brian Mcg

After an Invite from Alberto I attended the GCC last night . From the start I was made very welcome from the people there allthough I had met a few previously.
The standard of overhead casting was very high and Malcolm's style of Casting is unorthodox but precise and I can see myself using some of them. Also nice to see were some youngsters and the casting I watched from them was very good. Craigs casts are a joy to watch and I think he looks for perfection,no bad thing.
Scott the Sintrex is a lovely rod to cast and for a " Fast Actioned rod" it is a rod with plenty of feeling and is softer than most who try it imagined . It has improved my accuracy due to it tracking true I think.
Tom you have made the right choice ,utilise what you have and adapt to suit :D
Ok to Alan, allthough we had a tiff on another Forum no grudges were evident and Like Adults we spoke amicably . To be honest he is the same in the Flesh as behind a Keyboard ie he will never agree with any sort of logical straight answer it allways has to be some sort of cryptic game he plays. Thats fine with me but he could make it a lot easier to understand his point of view. His overhead casting is nice.Alan a spey cast is the repositioning  of the line prior to a forward cast ie lift the line create an anchor at 45 degrees or whatever and go forward at 180 degrees to the anchor ( I know you know that) and the point of the cast is to get the fly back in the stream fishing.. But you showed me a squigly line cast but that was not what I asked :)
I can sort of understand why Alan goes to way out lochs to fish,he must have some great debates with himself what fly/line/jacket/boots/hat/ etc etc to use :) You see where I am coming from. :lol:
Alan all the above is Tongue in cheek. I enjoyed my night and your casting is very good. Thanks for the coffee

Brian

scotty9

Quote from: Brian Mcg on June 10, 2011, 08:58:48 AM

Scott the Sintrex is a lovely rod to cast and for a " Fast Actioned rod" it is a rod with plenty of feeling and is softer than most who try it imagined . It has improved my accuracy due to it tracking true I think.

Alan a spey cast is the repositioning  of the line prior to a forward cast ie lift the line create an anchor at 45 degrees or whatever and go forward at 180 degrees to the anchor ( I know you know that) and the point of the cast is to get the fly back in the stream fishing..

I can sort of understand why Alan goes to way out lochs to fish,he must have some great debates with himself what fly/line/jacket/boots/hat/ etc etc to use :)

Thanks Brian - interesting to hear. Looking forward to getting my hands on one in a month  :)

I could be annoying and say an overhead cast is also the repositioning of line prior to a forward cast.

To me a spey is a cast used to change direction that involves a d-loop and an anchor on the water. (Unless of course you want to include a switch cast as a spey cast which blows that definition out the water :lol: ) Ah but who cares, it's a grey area!

Go To Front Page