News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Alan Calm down, all my casting needs work that is why I ask so many questions(and Travelled through to Glasgow). If one accepts the plaudits he should also accept the criticisms. I would never criticise anyone unless it was constructive. You have a strong Imagination but I still say there is a real good bloke hiding behind that facade (my Ignore button has been pressed)
Malcolm you are the voice of reason I would happily pay you for advice and when I come next week there is something I would like to work on if it is OK with you.

Regards

Brian

Wildfisher

This casting stuff is all far too serious, heavy and poseurish  for me.  :gay4

Think I'll have to take up something uncouth like salmon fishing , probably spinning, just to get the forum back down to earth.   :lol:

Brian Mcg

Fred Fly casting/Fishing is full of contradictions and personal opinions. To teach imo means loads of different things having an open mind and approachability spring to mind.
Have a look at Malcolms reply above and it is like he has taken his statement from a teaching manual. I could learn a lot from him.

Regards

Brian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Brian Mcg on June 10, 2011, 07:45:00 PM
Have a look at Malcolms reply above and it is like he has taken his statement from a teaching manual. I could learn a lot from him.

I agree. I had a short spell casting with Malcolm last year up at the Crask. I too could learn a lot from him. Same as I learned  a lot from Alex, long before he was an instructor. Just as in any other walk of life "qualifications"  are not everything. Experience  in my view is just as, if not more, important.

I know of one member here who hired a "guide" / instructor a few years back and it ruined his fishing experience. In fact at the end of the day he follwed the "expert" up a pool and just did what he had always done in the past. . He caught and the "expert"  blanked.

scotty9

Hey this thread changed a bit since I was last here!

Brian Mcg

It looks ok to me Scott :) I think that GCC is great and next week I am going to get Malcolm, if he will, work with me on a cast from my left shoulder with a low delivery and side cut. Stewart saw a big Trout the other night( he doesn't know that I was watching where he was so now 2 of us know :D) and also one that must be big as it requires the cast above to even get near it. I struggle at times off shoulder as I don't practice enough. Isn't it strange that at times we get bogged down practicing a specific cast that then leaves all the other casts underdeveloped,or am I alone in this? Take even the overhead cast I don't use it often so it then gets pushed to the side and becomes ropey. A bit like my spey delivery according to Alan and some of the other Guys :(. But I will work on that and get them more precise. It is strange because I use that cast nearly every day but then again I see it from a different angle.

Regards

Brian

Brian Mcg

Quote from: wee bri on June 10, 2011, 10:41:34 PM
On my own, I've been practising a cast.....on grass....of what I think is a single spey cast using a single handed rod.
There is every possibilty it is in fact, nothing of the sort.

Being a Glass Half Full sort of guy Brian there is the possibility you are doing it right :D

Speak Soon.

Brian

Wildfisher

This is a friendly forum, so we  don't use ignore buttons here. The delete button on occasion, but never the ignore.

Wildfisher

This casting club is pretty unique and has helped a lot of people. Its success speaks for itself.

As I understand there has never been any ulterior financial motive. This possibly accounts for a lot of its success. Knowing at least some of the prime movers quite well,  I'm pretty sure none of them would like to see it turn into some kind of sausage factory run  to churn out people with  "qualifications"  for money. That could  kill it stone dead.

haresear

QuoteIsn't it strange that at times we get bogged down practicing a specific cast that then leaves all the other casts underdeveloped,or am I alone in this?

Definitely the case with me Brian. I really should try to get better off my "wrong" shoulder, or even better, do what I saw Squigster doing the other week and learn to double haul left handed.

Alex

Protect the edge.

Go To Front Page