News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 10, 2011, 11:44:33 PM
This is a friendly forum, so we  don't use ignore buttons here. The delete button on occasion, but never the ignore.

Fred don't worry (private joke with Alan) I know you have a friendly forum and I at no time want to rock the boat. I am capable of having any debate with anyone without any serious tantrums and anything I say should be looked at in that manner.
But if you feel I have lowered the tone of the Forum feel free to deal with it as you seem fit.
The GCC is imo important not just because of any one person but for what it gives others. I said before, when I attended I noticed some young guys turn up for some tuition, they're important as one thing that is lacking in Angling at the moment is youngsters and all of the guys that attend are more than capable of teaching them something.
Craig I will do that no problem. Brian further to my pm I look forward to seeing you. Please send me your email address and I will let you know what I have planned. Alex my left shoulder is pants. Myself and Malcolm were trying to hit the Flag in the pond of our "wrong" shoulder we did ok but I could have done better.

Bye

Brian

Malcolm

Quote from: Brian Mcg on June 10, 2011, 10:22:20 PM
It looks ok to me Scott :) I think that GCC is great and next week I am going to get Malcolm, if he will, work with me on a cast from my left shoulder with a low delivery and side cut.
Regards

Brian

No problem Brian. I warn you though that Alan has described that cast variously as "a classic casting fault" and once as "so offensive it makes me sick". Or maybe that was a generic description he was applying to my casting in general.  I wonder what compliment he will use describe it when I get these right and left hooks going properly.

It's hard for Mr Pretty Loops to stop complimenting people.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2011, 12:41:41 AM
This casting club is pretty unique and has helped a lot of people. Its success speaks for itself.

As I understand there has never been any ulterior financial motive. This possibly accounts for a lot of its success. Knowing at least some of the prime movers quite well,  I'm pretty sure none of them would like to see it turn into some kind of sausage factory run  to churn out people with  "qualifications"  for money. That could  kill it stone dead.

Absolutely correct, Fred !
Just for a wee while there what I originally took for a bit of banter in a light vein seemed to be taking on a different edge.
In my more dissolute days of the past I used, very occasionally, to visit a particular pub in the Southside of Glasgow. It was quite quite well known as a haunt of various minor local celebrities .. journalists, cooncillors etc. These guys used to establish themselves in one particular spot in the bar and regale themselves, each other, and other poor souls within earshot, with their views and  opinions on all manner of subjects. As the evenings wore on these discourses would get louder and more pompous by the minute. The part of the bar they inhabited became known as " Fannies' Corner ".
I hope the weather will take a turn for the better tomorrow !  :)
T

Clan Ford

Quote from: Ardbeg on June 12, 2011, 12:16:12 AM
Smurf Cast™

:roflmao :roflmao  - I don't think your taking this casting stuff seriously enough :D

Norm

Wildfisher

I just checked on Sexyloops. No mention of The Smurf Cast yet, but it's only a matter of time. I can hardly wait until the new special Smurf Cast  lines appear for sale on 'some forum'  or other.................  :lol:

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 11, 2011, 12:41:41 AM
This casting club is pretty unique and has helped a lot of people. Its success speaks for itself.

As I understand there has never been any ulterior financial motive. This possibly accounts for a lot of its success. Knowing at least some of the prime movers quite well,  I'm pretty sure none of them would like to see it turn into some kind of sausage factory run  to churn out people with  "qualifications"  for money. That could  kill it stone dead.

I don't think that will happen Fred whatever gave you that Idea.? What I saw was a group of guys enjoying the casting and the banter.
Same as FCC. :D

bRIAN

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 12, 2011, 02:18:15 PM
now for the interesting bit, Duchy has never had a casting lesson

Which goes to show ........?........ there is more to catching fish  than qualifications or "official" tactics. The best angler I ever fished with would have been at least 120 now. Long dead  and an artiste of upstream wet fly from an age when casting lessons had not even been though of. Even allowing for the fact I was a kid at the time and probably easy to impress, this man was special.

I'm not sure what it proves either other than some have a talent or special aptitude for things that no amount of lessons, practice  or instruction will being out in Mr Average if the latent talent  is not there to start with. The best angler I know, by a mile, is Alex, no one else comes  close,  and he was good long before he was qualified. He has a dedication and persistence that most don't, certainly not me anyway. 

Sausage machines churn out sausages, not fillet steaks!   :lol:

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 11:26:35 AM
Which goes to show ........?........ there is more to catching fish  than qualifications or "official" tactics. The best angler I ever fished with would have been at least 120 now. Long dead  and an artiste of upstream wet fly from an age when casting lessons had not even been though of. Even allowing for the fact I was a kid at the time and probably easy to impress, this man was special.

I'm not sure what it proves either other than some have a talent or special aptitude for things that no amount of lessons, practice  or instruction will being out in Mr Average if the latent talent  is not there to start with. The best angler I know, by a mile, is Alex, no one else comes  close,  and he was good long before he was qualified. He has a dedication and persistence that most don't, certainly not me anyway. 

Sausage machines churn out sausages, not fillet steaks!   :lol:

Yes Fred I agree that some of the best Anglers have no Qualifications and don't want or need them. Would you take driving Lessons from someone not qualified, how did you learn your Trade,from someone not qualified? There is a lot of Casting Tuition going on at the minute and I will continue to do so,as long as I enjoy it. My "qualification"  shows I have Insurance,CRB checked,First aid cert and child protection cert although these thing are not needed and in no way proves my competence to teach, in this day and age it gives some sort of peace of mind to the people who pay good money for tuition. Casting Instructors will always have Knockers for one reason or another,from my perspective I don't know why, only they will know. :? Casting Clubs are testament to the growing want/need for tuition and IMO they will only get bigger. Maybe you should try to organise one in your area and see the benefits first hand.
Most of the Instructors I have come across are Fillet Steaks :D

Brian

Wildfisher

Sorry Brian, no offence intended, but I don't think comparing casting instruction to driving lessons rings true for me.  I wouldn't  like to have surgery performed on me by an unqualified doctor either. Sure, if I'm paying for any service I want to be sure the provider knows what he's at, but like most anglers I don't  pay for casting lessons or fly tying instruction, but that's not the point of Alan's post or my reply to it, rather  that I'm sure the Dutch fellow could teach  us all something. It would be a mistake to dismiss him because he does not hold a bit of paper, just as I would have been foolish to ignore what I learned from old Geordie back in the 1960s or  Alex  a few years ago before he had passed his fishing driving test. 

Brian Mcg

No offence taken Fred. I understand what you are saying and agree totally,we could/should be able to learn things from different people.
I try not defend Instructors(full time job) but remember most of the casts taught are standard Casts. What you do with them after that is down to the individual. I know that Instructors in general are appreciated. It is only people who want to use them that will see the value in them and some of the others who just point blank refuse to admit to needing to use them for reasons of their own, sometimes become the knockers.

Brian

Go To Front Page