News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

I think the point that Fred sums up perfectly at the end, is that great anglers or casters for that matter or those who are both aren't necessarily born out of instruction but rather a perseverence to do well, to be good maybe to be the best.

Wildfisher

Another point is that a good caster does not necessarily make a good instructor. Teaching is a skill in itself and probably more important than the technical ability of the teacher. 

Inchlaggan

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 01:05:56 PM
Another point is that a good caster does not necessarily make a good instructor. Teaching is a skill in itself and probably more important than the technical ability of the teacher. 
Mostly agree. But a qualified instructor (in any field of enterprise) should have been required to demonstrate (to some level or other) that they can both perform the skill and teach it.
On the few occasions that I have been paid to take folks fly-fishing, only to discover that they have never held a fly rod, I am required to show them how it is done, explain how it is done (and why), and help them acheive enough competence such that they can enjoy the outing without harming themselves (or me!). Most first-time clients are intent on catching a fish, but many find pleasure in increasing distance, accuracy or presentation if the worth and uses of each aspect of casting is explained.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 01:05:56 PM

I agree again Fred(not much of a debate if we keep on agreeing :D)
One of the criteria set out in the current assessments(GAIA) is that the person being assessed must be able to " explain ,demonstrate and teach" the specific cast. Ok it still does not prove that you are a good teacher but I think you would be found out quick enough.
I still say that some the best Anglers are not Instructors but I have also seen great anglers who are crap at casting.
I think with casting most people could learn to cast really well but they don't have to because the catch fish anyway. Happy days.
Nobody makes people do anything,they do it for all sorts of reasons. They aren't harming anybody(Instructors) so why should people try and down them all the time. A reason I was crap at school is because I was a bit of a lad and therefore was shown no encouragement (my fault) but I loved art only because the teacher must have seen that I lacked confidence(due to being called an Idiot all the time)  I am crap at Art
but enjoyed every minute due to being encouraged /Good Teacher. So you learn from all sorts, tips on how to teach. I use lots of positives and hide the negatives. :D

Brian

Wildfisher

All these acronyms are a bit confusing for us regular blokes who enjoy just going  fishing.  :lol:  Would you say GAIA was one of the better organizations or are they all much the same?

Brian Mcg

I would say much the same. We are all (i think)just regular guys who happen to have a passion for casting/angling and wish to share our Knowledge with others. Some for monetary gains others for pleasure.
I think bridges have to built between the organisations and I try my best but we all have to have the same attitude.

Brian

Wildfisher

That's very positive Brian. I'd heard that  the APGAI or AAPGAI or whatever they are called were a bit aloof and thought  they were a bit special compared to the rest,  that the FFF guys were really the international top dogs and everyone was desperate to  out-loop everyone else.  :lol:

Just kidding, I think it's a credit to all you guys that you are willing  to  give your time as you do.  Certainly the Glasgow Club has been a huge success and we have the members and  new instructors it has helped right here to prove it.  :D

Malcolm

I put up a post about the EFFA masters here http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=14737.msg153449#msg153449

I had a try at the whole test at the club one day last winter and it's interesting to try! I'll print it out in case anyone wants to try it one evening.

My view on instructors is simple. I've said this before. If I wanted to learn how to do something I would only go to an instructor who could do it and can show me how: "Tell me and I forget, show me and I remember, involve me and I understand".

So if I want to learn how to cast 40m of sunk line salmon fly or cast a size 2 bunny 80ft on an 11 weight pike line I'd go to someone who can show me, then involve me.

I know there are top coaches in sports that can't do what their pupils can do but that is usually at the extremes and the coaches will then show videos and the like. The casts I have described above are bread and butter for those disciplines and aren't dependent on extreme fitness, just technique.   
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 02:40:23 PM
That's very positive Brian. I'd heard that  the APGAI or AAPGAI or whatever they are called were a bit aloof and thought  they were a bit special compared to the rest,  that the FFF guys were really the international top dogs and everyone was desperate to  out-loop everyone else.  :lol:

I had heard the same (not kidding) I would be telling lies if I said I hadn't seen it. Like everything in life there are some who think they are better than others. That's their problem. My old mate used to say to me "man mind thy own". I will not say where it happened suffice to say if it happened again I would deal with it differently

Brian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 14, 2011, 09:04:24 PM
i think what i got was just a wake up call to the standard of european fishers

It may just be the home  benchmark is short

Go To Front Page