News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfisher

Quote from: Brian Mcg on June 14, 2011, 04:42:33 PM
I had heard the same (not kidding) I would be telling lies if I said I hadn't seen it.

I don't doubt it Brian. Fly fishing  is full of people with serious ego disorders who take themselves far too seriously. You can't beat the ordinary, straight say it to your face kinda guy!   :D

Brian Mcg

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 09:22:36 PM
I don't doubt it Brian. Fly fishing  is full of people with serious ego disorders who take themselves far too seriously. You can't beat the ordinary, straight say it to your face kinda guy!   :D

Fred if I have something to say to to guy I must do it right away. I cannot sleep if I have let it go. I used to be different years ago,not anymore.
You have a pm.

Brian

Wildfisher

I have added you to the instructor's website page Brian. It's reserved for honest chaps, so I'm not sure how Scott got in there.   :lol:    (just kidding Scott)

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?board=212.0

scotty9

Quote from: admin on June 14, 2011, 10:05:07 PM
I have added you to the instructor's website page Brian. It's reserved for honest chaps, so I'm not sure how Scott got in there.   :lol:    (just kidding Scott)

http://www.wildfisher.co.uk/smf/index.php?board=212.0

Hey!  :lol:

Totally unrelated to anything this next bit but it fits the casting thread well. Have a look at how brilliant this is, an 11 year old getting the recognition of passing the FFF CI test because he was technically good enough, new the theory well and could obviously explain it/teach it to the assessors (who were board of govenors of the FFF!) http://www.sexyloops.com/indexmon.shtml

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on June 15, 2011, 12:04:28 AM
but they can teach us so much,

Don't exaggerate Alan, only football, tennis, rugby, fishing, fly casting, etc etc etc etc  :lol:  Never forget the signs that Wee Eck put up at the airports a few years back;  Scotland is the best small country in the world.  :roll:

Seriously though, you do have a point, we tend not to be winners and spend too much of our time looking  back over a dram or ten to halcyon days that never really existed. I think we have discussed this before. It's  part of the culture I suppose.

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Alan on June 15, 2011, 12:04:28 AM

i think there is an internal rivalry thing between organisations in the UK, but its gradually healing as people become more aware that they just offer the same thing,
it always struck me as strange that instructors pay more to do it than they would make professionally, admirable but odd.

I think it will change but like everything else we have to work at it. I organise some of the events in Scotland for GAIA and I would honestly invite anybody to join in(no ulterior motive). I would talk to anybody,prince or a pauper.
Some Instructors do make a living but as above you have to work at it. Nobody will bring money to your door

Brian

Wildfisher

Quote from: Brian Mcg on June 15, 2011, 09:33:06 AM
Some Instructors do make a living but as above you have to work at it. Nobody will bring money to your door

This needs a culture change if more are going to be able to make some money. Many anglers in Scotland don't even want to pay for their fishing. In many cases it's something I have sympathy with while at the same time realizing  than free=worthless in the eyes of many of our countrymen = not worth looking after. Just look at the state of lochs on Rannoch Moor.  :?

scotty9

Quote from: admin on June 15, 2011, 09:52:38 AM
This needs a culture change if more are going to be able to make some money. Many anglers in Scotland don't even want to pay for their fishing. In many cases it's something I have sympathy with while at the same time realizing  than free=worthless in the eyes of many of our countrymen = not worth looking after. Just look at the state of lochs on Rannoch Moor.  :?

I regard to the problems like Rannoch, it's not so much it's free (I acknowledge the various aspects that free brings with it) it's just we have too many people in the country who just don't care about anyone or anything else but themselves. You'll know what it's like from visiting NZ, take away the ned culture and lo and behold it's a lovely place! We seem to have more total idiots than a lot of countries!

Wildfisher

Quote from: scotty9 on June 15, 2011, 10:03:18 AM
We seem to have more total idiots than a lot of countries!

Sadly that does appear to be the case. I have had to kick enough of them off this forum; extrapolation of these numbers  does suggest we have more than our fair share.

Malcolm

Alan,

Amateur sport in this country exists largely through former participants in the sport giving up lots of time and money. The cost of coaching qualifications may in some cases be partly funded by the sports governing body or elsewhere but often it is the coach who is out of pocket with no hope or expectation that it will be refunded. Costs come not only for qualifications but often for travel and hotel expenses. Simply it is done for the love of the sport. This is true not only in the UK but across Europe. I can think of exceptions - the most notable being golf. There the club pro will charge for lessons but also repair clubs and act as a shop assistant.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page