News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Mcg

Quote from: buster1980 on June 19, 2011, 07:48:57 PM
Andrew

Looking at the basic tests they look hard enough to me, its weird why make the test harder?

Because guys like you make it look easy :D

Brian

Brian Mcg

Craig, I do not jest I mean what I say. I have watched your Casting a few times now and imo you are at a level, maybe to progress you must then develop all the casts within whatever assessment you are looking at. Being a member of gcc means you already have a head start regarding coaching. You then develop YOUR own style of Teaching. Having met you a few times I know by your attitude you will make an excellent Instructor If that is what you want to do.(Don't want to make it sound like a recruitment spiel )

Brian

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Alan on June 19, 2011, 09:57:16 PM
Craig, i have to agree with Brian, you question the cause and effect objectively and perform appropriately, fine tune to the casts required for assessment but be prepared to talk through the cast as though teaching it, ie. just say what your doing and do what your saying,
one of the benefits of the cc is you can get some teaching in before being questioned on how you might teach something, you can teach beginners or nurse advanced, its all there to play with, assessors like this because it shows you have taught then thought, revised, changed, refined, this is the aim of the assessment..im assuming they run the same..rather than just performing the cast.

I feel a major breakthrough has occurred with Alan agreeing with me but he is right with what he states.
You should be able to explain, demonstrate and teach every task. Well you do exactly that every week at the gcc.
Alan I to am not the kind of guy anyone would associate with being an organisation type but it supplies me with Insurance etc and at the end of the day it is just like a Casting Club,just bigger.

Brian

Malcolm

If I can get the fly to a trout ten feet or a hundred feet away from any casting location that nature throws at me, with the fly presented how I want it, then I'm happy. Nothing else matters. That's the way I think of it.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

scotty9

Quote from: buster1980 on June 20, 2011, 12:29:53 AM
Teaching doesnt bother me i have been doing that for years at work and i teach how to instruct, only difference i cant give people press ups for not getting it right :)

The more im getting into casting the more im starting to realise how much is involved in it, and if you want to be at a high level the amount of hours needed to be put in is a lot more than 3 hours down the casting club on a Thursday. My problem is i see faults everywhere and there frustrating, and its not massive one's but its the difference between a couple of cm or so on a forward cast to get it perfect. Another thing that im in the process of trying to work out is the style of casting that i like.

Well...you could, maybe fear of pressups would be a revolutionary breakthrough in casting development, maybe the learning would occur faster?  :lol:

I'm very like you. I see a tiny fault and want to fix it, I get pissed off with a small glitch. It's pretty dam easy getting the fly to the fish 90% of the time with a nice drift, yes there are those fish in amazing tricky places... but that's when I climb rocks, climb trees and hang off them to get the cast I want!  :8) I want to be able to hit every fish I find but I can't say it's the sole goal I have from practising casting. In saying that, fishing between mangroves in australia was amazingly difficult and so much fun. Definitely an awesome skill to have if you are adapted to that environment. I see casting in part as a separate discipline almost (obviously only in part!) and I want to improve the art form of casting, I want mine to be perfect. At the same time I want to compete in distance competitions which is removed from fishing. They are two very interrelated elements casting and fishing but I see it as something that you can keep as closely related or remove them from each other to any degree you wish. That's a lot of waffle but I hope it gets my point across.

Brian Mcg

Alan I can only speak from a GAIA point of view whether that is right or wrong that is for others to decide. On the current Syllabus it states You must Demonstrate,explain and Teach all of the tasks. On the day of the Assessment the Assessor is given the number of 4 Tasks(it could be any four) and the candidate has to act accordingly. As for the teaching side well you are a Teacher Craig teaches, it is guys like myself who's only interaction with teachers was to hold our hand out for the Belt that need to develop teaching skills. I think cppd days go a long way in helping that side of things,that's why I go to every one .
I am glad that we can at least agree with each other on some things :) The only way forward is dialogue  :D(sound's like a politician)
I will stop going on about mundane things on the thread as after all it is the GCC thread.

Brian

Brian Mcg

Be-jeesus Alan, I can see me and you being mates :shock: :D

Brian

Inchlaggan

I have never earned any qualifications in teaching- and it is way too late now.
But I have spent a lot of time- and been paid for it, one way or another- showing the unknowing what to do, how and why.
The teachers amongst us can legitmately claim that I was not "teaching" as I have not been trained/educated in this skill, I concur.
I encountered my greatest difficulties when I failed to elicit my own enthusiasm for the subject in my pupil(s).
In my defence, some of my pupils were unwillingly such.
However, a volunteer is worth ten pressed men.
French, Latin and Algebra saw me as an unwilling (to the point of disobedience) pupil.
Chemistry, Biology, Physics and (now) fishing leave me unable to drink too deep of the well of knowledge.
My casting is crap, but serves my purpose- from the boat, on the loch, wet flies- and I can show, tell and explain to  beginners how to match my efforts, regularly recognising that they can exceed them.
So be it.
What sets us ahead of the apes is our ability to vocalise a greater range of sounds, formed into language, which is used to convey both demonstrable actions but also concepts and abstract ideas on a wide range of subjects.
Latin and Algebra can be book-learnt- led by a teacher, gymnastics and casting require a coach with the time and experience to observe and improve/develop performance.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Malcolm

I don't believe we need coaches for casting but a good one will speed the learning process. Coaches are helpful, no doubt about it however there are a load of really excellent casters who have never had coaching and possibly won't receive any benefit from it for the casts they can already do.

On the matter of new skills I have been very pleased with help I have been given over the past 18 months particularly with new "river craft" casts and a load of double handed stuff - not all from instructors by any means. 

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

I can see that this going to be a long, long summer !  :roll:

T

Go To Front Page