News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty9

Don't want to be on the banks down there at the moment. Passed the kelvin up around torrance today, very high. Wouldn't like to be fannying about down in the park for fear of falling in the lovely brown water  :lol:

paulr

I've been to those Golden Gate casting pools years ago! Saw fishing ponds marked on a map and spent ages trying to find them, i was utterly disgusted that they'd gone to that much trouble to construct them purely to practice casting-not a fish in sight. Mind you at that point in my life I was more interested in how to drain them to skateboard in them! :-)

Teither

There was a disappointed young Ollie at the pond today, when no-one, other than a couple of decrepit old speycasters, had turned up.

DST

scotty9

Sunday isn't official though?

As far as I was aware it was only me and Alan going down, which we did. We were there for 3 hours this afternoon.

scotty9

Quote from: Alan on August 14, 2011, 07:15:03 PM
didnt see anyone! discovered a very good mend exercise for thursday for those with sore arms from distance casting, which appears to work better on grass than water.

It was good... we need to plan the line layout a bit better though so we make it a bit more possible  :lol: Some of that was bloody hard, interesting with the wind too  :shock: :lol:

davefromtheattic

Out of interest, what are you guys hitting when doing your distance stuff? I'm coming along to the BFCC thing in september, so need to see if I'll be able to compete with the fine casters of GCC.

scotty9

Quote from: davefromtheattic on August 17, 2011, 04:14:34 PM
Out of interest, what are you guys hitting when doing your distance stuff? I'm coming along to the BFCC thing in september, so need to see if I'll be able to compete with the fine casters of GCC.

I'm seriously hit and miss at the moment. (Or am I just bluffing to my competition?  :lol:)

Longest measured cast was 112' at the weekend. I'm 100% sure I had one cast on thursday a good bit further but it wasn't on a tape so it's irrelevant. To be honest though, it's not about longest casts, it's about averages. The brutal truth is that if we're not averaging in the 120s then we don't have a hope in the comepetion placing. I'm just in it for the fun and experience at the moment though - maybe challenge for places in a few years  :lol:

That's for the #5 weight.

PS - have you emailed Mike Marshall to say you're going?

davefromtheattic

Todays 107' isn't too bad then  :D

My tracking is really off, I don't know whether to spend the time getting it sorted or just leave it and enjoy the day. Sounds like I should leave it!

scotty9

Definitely not bad at all  :D

What gear you using out of interest? I'm playing with different rods and lines at the moment trying to make my mind up. My choice is Hydros 9' #6, TCX 9' #6, Lines - Barrio GT thing, SA MED both #5s. Ironically I threw 108' at the weekend with a Neilson rod and a Snowbee XS, which if you'd asked me before I'd have said never in a million years!

Tracking - I'll pm you advice, can't give it out to everyone  :lol: It's helped wonders for me, still a long way to go. I'm in a similar situation, I could totally stop what I'm doing and start from the ground up which is probably better in the long run or just keep plugging away  :lol: My biggest issue at the moment is haul timing. I keep hauling too soon in the rotation, when it's right it's such a massive difference in the loop but for now it's wrong more often than right.

Malcolm

I was getting 110-120ft with a TCR 5 weight and a GT 140 line - but I broke the rod! I had the odd cast that went beyond 120ft but I never figured out what caused these freaky casts. I wish I could.

I've not done much since the fishing season started but I was playing about with a 10ft 7 weight with a wildfisher line at the casting club a couple of weeks ago and the casts were going about 105-115ft.
I'm really inconsistent when it comes to distance casting.

Best witnessed single hand cast - coached by oor ain Alan - was 127ft. That was with a rather more powerful outfit that wouldn't have passed competition rules!

One thing I do know is that to cast a long line i.e 120ft+ with a 5 weight you need to carry a hell of a lot of line which means a very long headed line otherwise you will have a very long overhang. It also means that you need a very powerful 5 weight (i.e with an ERN of 7+). 

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page