News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teither

Alan,
Well, we did have yet another newcomer last Sunday, Alan. That was Danny with the softest double handed rod I've ever tried - and a DT line to boot. I tell you , it caught me out .. and a couple of others too, I think.
I think your reference to the onset of nastier weather is a correct observation, along with the end, or approaching end, of the season. Remember that the salmon fishers are still active and probably on Saturdays at this back end, so it will pick up again before too long, I'm sure.
I should maybe also [ as gently as I can ]  make the observation that preoccupation with distance casting is the preserve of  only a relatively small number of members. It is certainly not the case, as someone suggested a wee while back, that "the casting club" has developed into a distance-focussed entity.
Your own comments about the social cum general learning and practising aspects are much nearer the mark, I think. See you Sunday [ weather permitting ! ]  :)
T

ps " syllabi " or "syllabuses " is the word you're looking for. :lol:
T

Teither

An additional few yesterday, plus a late arriving Zoomer [ who missed the coffee ] ! We go from strength to strength !  :lol:
T

Malcolm

Jim, have you still got the 18ft AFTM 12 Paraflex? I'm quite keen to see if I can manage to get some long spey casts.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Brian Mcg

Quote from: Malcolm on October 24, 2011, 02:04:22 PM
Jim, have you still got the 18ft AFTM 12 Paraflex? I'm quite keen to see if I can manage to get some long spey casts.

Bejesus Malcolm 18ft :shock:? You will have to test cast it in the North sea not the Park Pond :?

Brian

scotty9

Doubt I'll be along this Sunday, big party on saturday night  :D

Teither

Quote from: Malcolm on October 24, 2011, 02:04:22 PM

Malcolm,
              I have but I have no long head line to suit. You'd want at least 85ft and, in my view, 95ft would be better for that rod.

T

Malcolm

I'm thinking that a spey line is just a long DT with a running line. So a cheap DT12 and some form of running line may work just fine. What do you think?

John Norris do a 105ft DT12 for £8 and that would be a good head length - so where do I get a cheapish running line - or do I just use heavy mono? 18ft rod +105ft head+ 9ft leader means 140ft or so without shooting any line!
To jaw like this

Teither

Quote from: Malcolm on October 25, 2011, 11:35:58 PM
I'm thinking that a spey line is just a long DT with a running line. So a cheap DT12 and some form of running line may work just fine. What do you think?

John Norris do a 105ft DT12 for £8 and that would be a good head length - so where do I get a cheapish running line - or do I just use heavy mono? 18ft rod +105ft head+ 9ft leader means 140ft or so without shooting any line!

Malcolm,
              It is, of course, up to you but you should perhaps be aware that the rod's owner might well claim it back at any time. Indeed, he has already arranged once to pick it up. He did not turn up as arranged but that might change at any time.
T

scotty9

Haven't heard much recently, much still doing? I know Alex and Stephen have been along a few times but haven't heard much else.

I'm hoping to get back after New Year, just been too busy recently to get down.

Malcolm

I usually pop in on my way home from Glasgow on a Sunday morning but the weather has been foul for the past month so Sunday was the first time there for a while. The pond was frozen over and there was an inch or two of snow.

I can't imagine anyone will be there until the 8th Jan now as Christmas and new year fall on Sunday.
To jaw like this

Go To Front Page