News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishtales

The local authority wont let you cast anywhere the backcast is within forty feet of a path. They stopped fly fishing at Drumpellier because of that and shut part of the bank at Hillend because of the overhead cables on the new railway. The public haven't a clue what happens in casting with a fly rod. I have stopped when someone was passing and when I turned to wait they had stopped and indicated to carry on. I went into the backcast, lengthened the line and was about to false cast when I caught them moving across my back and stopped. I saw that happen hundreds of times on Drumpellier and people moaning about it being dangerous. The anglers got the blame of course not the idiots on the path.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

elf  'n' safety init.

Can hardly blame the councils. Allow it then standby to be sued by the ambulance chasers.

haresear

Although we do have a lease of the pond for casting, there have been a number of incidents involving the public. This is mainly what precipitated the move to "up the field" for overhead casting. We don't have a lease of the field, but so far so good.

There is zero chance of us being allowed to put up signs and even less chance of the public taking any notice of them :).

Alex

Protect the edge.

Wildfisher

I had a couple  of close things salmon fishing the Don Haughton Park beat years ago. A few dug walkers and kids came close to wearing  size 2 double Stoat's Tail earrings.   :lol:   OK  to joke about, but it would not have been so funny had it happened.

Wildfisher

I would have thought that as you guys are not casting with hooks or other dangerous, sharp objects there would have been fewer safety issues.

Fishtales

You can still take someone's eye out with the end of a flyline, Fred. Think whip. And as for reasoning with the council and their lawyers  :deadhorse
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

haresear

Quotewhat incidents alex?

Nothing serious Alan, I've just seen near misses and people taking umbrage as well as others being unsure how to navigate through a line up of maybe a dozen guys' backcasts. As you know, people cycle along the footpath and also some of these longer backcasts were reaching out over the pavement and on to the main road.

Better safe than sorry.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Malcolm

Quote from: buster1980 on January 09, 2012, 02:24:00 AM
Also a sign letting them know there's a chance of injury if you happen to go within 40ft of The guy with the skip bunnet and the pipe :D. Easy prey Malcolm :tongue2

Hope to be there next weekend.
Craig

Aye and a damn sight further than that if you see an 18ft 12 weight in these delicate little paws! I think most of us who are regulars have had the odd whack and while we are happy to make allowances the general public won't. Isn't it interesting just how close they like to stand to watch speycasting?

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Teither

Quote from: Alan on January 09, 2012, 01:50:27 PM
what incidents alex?

I've already attempted two fairly lengthy responses to this. Both disappeared to God knows where. So I'll keep this brief, especially as Alex has already covered the salient points. I noted that Craig took the points being made.
You know fine what at least some of these incidents were. I explained one, the most serious, to you. It concerned the complaints of a foul-mouthed angry man who called the authorities upon us. A " polis " arrived to investigate. I explained to him our situation and our permissions etc. In fact, there were  two " polises " on that occasion. If I remember correctly, one of them might even have been a " polisess".
Another conspicuous incident occurred when you were demonstrating to young Ollie and thought it would be hilarious to land your flyline on my nose !
The reason Alberto got guideline cards printed and distributed was that there was clearly a need to do so. You have, or had, one . It tells you why we benefit from use of the pond and surrounding areas, even with the " restrictions ".
You are right about the speycasting problem, mind you. That's why these guidelines apply equally to the big rod wielders.

Grumpy Old Doublehander.

Teither

Quote from: Alan on January 10, 2012, 10:01:22 AM
Jim, i was not aware of any incident, and in one instance your telling me i caused it :lol:

it comes as a surprise to me that we now have a casting club where casting near water is restricted to a small number of salmon fishers, that arguably are the more dangerous.

Alan, yet another helpful reply from me to you has disappeared before publication !  :) So I'll edit it , from memory, to the bare bones  - " Baloney .. on both counts !! "

J

ps  - is there some kind of timeout on making replies ?

J

Go To Front Page