News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm

I was passing Elder Park today (between Linthouse and Govan) and the thought occurred that the pond there was much quieter than the pond at Knightswood it is literally one minute's drive from the south side of the Clyde tunnel. There are lots of places in fact but most have a disadvantage: the Barrhead dams for one but there is limited parking. I also know of a river we could possibly get on for a pittance but it is about 12 miles north.

I have to agree with Alex, I too seem to spend a great amount of time looking out for pedestrians when people are at the pond. It's not surprising that members of the public get hit as the casts go right over the pavement beside the road. I also saw a cyclist almost get hit a few months ago as she was cycling along the road. The point is that we all do get hit with lines fairly often but it is so innocuous we don't even register however it doesn't mean that every incident is to be dismissed. No one sees everything and all it needs is one serious incident.

There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Wildfisher

Quote from: buster1980 on January 11, 2012, 08:31:41 PM
full of shopping trolleys and dead NEDS within a week though.

In that case the Scottish Gov. will block any such move towards a  casting pond. They are relying on  16 and 17 year old ned votes in  the upcoming referendum.   :lol:

dazdidge

Unless of course you tell them you want to stick a few foreigners in said pond and charge a wee fortune for a few hours of angling to keep the wee shitebags darlings off the streets :worms

daz

Teither

Re Craig's initial point, I very much doubt whether any authority would consider this to be a wise time to be investing taxpayers' money in providing a casting pond for a few individuals. I don't and I doubt if many others would. I may be wrong but I think that the Golden Gates ponds were funded through private effort - I stand to be corrected on that, mind you, and apologise in advance if I've got that wrong.
Making inane comments about the Council's attitude to "neds " , dead or otherwise, is equally unlikely to encourage healthy participation from the authorities should we indeed need to approach them again and I do wish people would apply a bit of intelligent forethought before posting on a forum, which anyone can read,  on a subject which may be of serious concern to those who want to see the GCC continue to flourish. We know that out there have been a few sceptics and begrudgers, right from the club's beginning.
The reason we did not make a big public issue of health and safety concerns was that we did not want to flag these up in the public domain if that could have been avoided, for very obvious reasons. But everyone available was approached for views on the matter and several date options were given for anyone to be able to come along. Some could not make any date. But a meeting did take place at the Burnbrae Hotel ! On the night of the police incident I explained, at length, to all who were present the circumstances and the outcome - which was that the police were content with our being there for casting practice but did advise the need for great care in managing public safety, a not unreasonable viewpoint, which everyone then present understood and accepted. I distinctly recall explaining it all to you, Alan. And the issue has been raised on a number of other occasions at the pond. I will not debate this further with you. Selective memory is getting in the way of adult discussion.
Away back around October 2010, when this issue was first raised Fred raised concerns about frictions , real or apparent. River Chatter has very recently also expressed some level of concern. Both of these concerns are justified. Going on and on about a situation which most club members seem to accept and understand can do nothing but weaken our position, should these affairs properly come under wider scrutiny, most especially by the Glasgow Council. And that might well happen should we approach that body seeking a change of venue to another public park.
For my own part , I've had enough of going round in circles and dealing with juvenile postion switching. I'm pretty sure others, particularly non CC members, must also be sick of the matter. I leave it up to others henceforth to try to respond to any would-be mischiefmakers. I do thank Alex and Malcolm for their intelligent and informed comment in this discussion to date.

T

Wildfisher

Quote from: Teither on January 11, 2012, 11:52:56 PM
those who want to see the GCC continue to flourish. We know that out there have been a few sceptics and begrudgers, right from the club's beginning.

Indeed. It is envied by many. Up in the barren wastelands of Aberdeenshire, for example,  there is nothing that comes close, but that may be down to motivations that are, possibly,  less altruistic and posturing is easier than action. All I would say is this; the GCC is pretty unique and although there will inevitably be problems in any kind of loose association it has worked well. The record speaks for itself. I have to take my hat of all who give their time freely to aid others without underlying commercial motives or self promotion.

Fishtales

I can speak from experience here. You wont know anything about it 'till the council lawyers slam restrictions on you. If the police have been called then it has been logged and reported and it will be in the report sent to the councillors and may already have been discussed at a meeting. All it will take is for a couple of people to go to their councillor and complain about the safety issues, even if there aren't any, and it will be discussed at another meeting and, taking the police report into consideration, rules passed. You wont even have a say in it. It is all well and good saying nothing was seen or that not one person from the public has approached anyone in the club to point out a near miss or a safety issue. They wont. They will write, 'phone or approach someone in the council and the next time you go to renew the lease the restrictions will be in place and you either accept them or don't renew and look for a new venue. I fought NLC for over a year on these same issues at Drumpellier when they banned fly fishing eventually stepping down and leaving the club as I don't fish any other method. The club is still there but is now restricted to bait and spinning. The council refused to consider any proposals we put forward.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Malcolm

Alan,
I really don't see what the problem is. It only needs you to be distracted for 5 seconds and a cyclist can easily travel 50 metres in that time. There are all sorts of distractions too - cars, other casters, cyclists. Overhead casting near the pond just isn't on - it's heavily used by the public too. There can be a dozen casters around the pond so it is an absolute certainty that people will be hit by someone. There's no point in saying "I'm different, super careful and look over my shoulder every 5 seconds" because it's not only you.
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

Fishtales

They don't have to be hit or even nearly hit for them to complain. If they have to stop jogging, cycling, walking or whatever they are doing they will start to get annoyed that you are getting in the way. They wont come and say it to you , they will complain to the council, their councillor or the park management, anyone in authority that they think will listen. As I said, you will know nothing about it until the council imposes restrictions then it will be too late. Address the problems as best you can now and you might postpone the inevitable but you wont stop it happening believe me. I have worked with the public too long and the nicest person will still complain to the authorities for the slightest thing.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

Getting water to practice casting on is not easy, especially running water out of season. This kind of practice is questionable and in my opinion it is both selfish and highly irresponsible. It can endanger redds (a criminal offence) if people enter the water and it wastes bailiff's time checking out reports of individuals fishing out of season. Many places now ban wading for winter grayling, but at least that is controllable and the owners and bailiffs know what is going on.

scotty9

Go away on holiday, come back..... holy feck! What just happened? Think I'll wade through this thread over the next few weeks  :lol:

Go To Front Page