News:

The Best Fishing Forum In The UK.
Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Member?

Main Menu
Please consider a donation to help with the running costs of this forum.

Glasgow Casting Club

Started by Blanefishing, August 13, 2009, 11:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inchlaggan

I have been watching this debate, in ignorance of 99% of the detail, with some dismay. What appears a worthy, welcome and worthwhile venture now seems to be bedevilled with misunderstanding, misrecollection and misguided thinking.
Sadly, I have too much experience of worthy ventures falling foul of 'elf and safety, jobsworths, nimbys and professional complainers.
In truth, few ventures would get beyond the planning stage nowadays if all of the above were taken into consideration- a pond!, in a park! what happens if a bairn drowns in it?!!!!
The public will complain to the authorities (including the police) because they are afraid of confronting an individual face-to-face, they are certain of their "right" to enjoy the park, but do not recognise your "right" to cast in the park. There are so many examples of this sort of thing that it is boring to repeat them- but I was paying Edinburgh City Council to play cricket on the cricket pitch on the Meadows one time (to be exact, that date of Charles and Diana's wedding, Moredun Cricket Club were playing the Edinburgh Pakistan Society) when a family brought their picnic to the centre of the wicket and sat themselves down- "as was their right". They were not to be moved by evidence or argument, finally one of our number lost patience and bowled over their heads, the police were called, and we were moved on to a vacant pitch, the family were warned not to follow.
Some positive suggestions.
A few A1 A-frames scattered around the site, welcoming fellow park-users to the area and gently warning them to watch out. Signed "For and on behalf ot the Glasgow Casting Club, by kind permission of Glasgow City Council".
One (or more) members equipped with a Hi-Viz jacket with GCC on the back, to attract and answer/ deflect complaints- you will note that, legitimately, Glasgow Casting Club and Glasgow City Council have the same initials.
'til a voice as bad as conscience,
rang interminable changes,
on an everlasting whisper,
day and night repeated so-
"Something hidden, go and find it,
Go and look beyond the ranges,
Something lost beyond the ranges,
Lost and waiting for you,
Go."

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 12, 2012, 05:53:23 PM
clubs are dynamic things, thats what makes them clubs, i think its good to discuss stuff, and good that we have a place to do it here,

That's one important part of what forums are for and they also have  to be dynamic and change.  Just like clubs,  members come and go, some voluntarily some not, some fit in, some don't.  It has to be that way or they wither and die.  Some have done,  some are doing so right now. It's just not possible to have an organisation that suits everyone. You will never please everyone, the sooner you learn and accept that the sooner you are able to usefully focus your energies.

The weak and non-adaptable shall perish.   :lol:

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 13, 2012, 12:41:36 AM
christ that sounds a bit grim :lol:

It's just life. You will never please everyone, no matter what you do or how hard you try.  As it is I feel guys like you deserve recognition for the effort you put it. No barely hidden commercial agendas, you are not promoting products or services, decent, open and friendly.  It has parallels with this forum. Not many would be prepared to do that. These are some of the reasons Glasgow has a first rate and very successful casting club and Aberdeenshire and many other places do not.

Yes there are difficulties, but celebrate its success!   :D

Wildfisher

Quote from: Alan on January 13, 2012, 05:57:41 PM
i was approached at a game fair thing by one of the english casting demonstrators asking about it, he had heard about it at an AAPGAI

That does not surprise me in the slightest. Fly casting for fly casting sake appears to many looking in, even to many actual fly fishers, as a small, esoteric and very anal world where everyone knows what everyone else is up to. Nothing wrong with that of course, the same could be said about any minority pastime.   :lol:

bibio1

Never been before although I have thought of going as I think this is a great idea. Anyway my experience of both the council and the public is to JFDI.

I really hope the club persists in it's current location and prospers.

One final piece of advice, as soon as someone suggests insurance then yir doomed.

Cheers

Paul

Fishtales

£1 Million accident and liability insurance minimum before NLC would renew the club lease on Drumpellier even without fly fishing. No idea what it is now.
Don't worry, be happy.
Sandy
Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk/

Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019

Wildfisher

It will be more now Sandy. It's all these bogus claims for whiplash injury.  :lol:

Malcolm

Paul,

We've had insurance since day one. We pay £1 a week ro cover this.

Alan,

I notice you mention 18ft rods - I assume for shock effect as the only person who uses rods of close to that length is Andrew Toft. Well, apart from Gary Scott showing me how to do long distance spey casting and that was over a year ago.... 
There's nocht sae sober as a man blin drunk.
I maun hae goat an unco bellyfu'
To jaw like this

haresear

It's up to my thighs. About 18" :(

At least that's how far I had to walk in a couple of winters ago (heroically) to get a rod tip back for a fair damsel.

Alex
Protect the edge.

Squigster

One of those model boat chappies easily waded all over the pond last summer putting in those markers they sail round

Go To Front Page